Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

carp

Old 01-30-2008, 12:07 AM

Default carp

does anyone eat carp. i like to gig them and bowfish and i kill a lot. i am not real sure how to cook them tho. my friend says to pickle them. does anyone else know what to do to make carp fit to eat
Old 01-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: carp

I kill a lot of them bowfishing too, but I usually just give them to the catfish fishermen on the way out. If you want to cook them, those guys tell me they fry them up like crappie or any other white-fleshed fish. I had one guy tell me that he rolls the meat up into balls, batters the balls, and then fries them. Sounded horrible to me, but he swore by it. The meat can be hard to get off of them because they have huge ribs so you'll have to skin them first. Good luck with this, and let us know how they turn out if you actually cook some.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to catch them and throw them up on the bank to die. I wouldn't consider eating one!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ate some, fried, when I was in the Boy Scouts in VA, a long time ago. They were so bad, I still remember the meal...[:'(] Fatty, intramuscular bones and a very muddy taste.

However, I've heard that if they come from clean water they'll smoke reall nice.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great smoked.
Mom used to bake smaller ones stuffed with sourkaut
Old 03-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DougMD

I used to catch them and throw them up on the bank to die. I wouldn't consider eating one!
thats what i do when we bowfish them, but my grandpa says you gotta smoke um, never tried it and dont really plan on it. i would just use um for fertilzer if i was you
Old 03-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had some smaller grass carp. Lots of free-floating bones. If you get it fresh and cook it that night its not too terrible. It sure ain't striped bass, and I don't think I can name a saltwater fish that is worse tasting..... but I'd give it a go and if you don't like it... they help make the flowers bloom in the garden!
Old 03-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah good ol carp! Here's the absolute best way to cook these things. I'll put a fillet onto an Oak or Cedar plank and put it in the oven for about an hour. I'll baste it with some olive oil and lemon juice while doing this so it doesn't dry out and to give it a really good taste once it's done. After it's done I'll let it "rest" for a few minutes outside of the oven. Once it's cooled down it's ready! To enjoy this fine dish you simply throw away the carp and eat the plank that it was cooked on! Hell of a lot better than the carp!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

Makes excellent fertilizer for the garden...just drop the small ones in whole and cut up the bigger ones. Did this for years when I llived in South Dakota and had a place to have a big garden.

Here in AZ the only think I can grow is sand and things that stick you...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had it deep fried with a corn meal batter, wasn't that great. The best way in my opinion is to smoke it, pick off the small pieces from the bones, and a little tabasco sauce on a cracker.

Quick Reply: carp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.