Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Wild Turkey Deep Fry

Old 01-08-2008, 12:56 PM

Default Wild Turkey Deep Fry

Ok...Spring Turkey is right around the corner. Want to be readyfor dinner lol and was told to deep fry them little boogers! What is the best way to do this? Ive had deep fried turkey and YUMMY! but #1 i didnt shot it #2 i didnt clean it and #3 i didnt cook it so i need some advice hahahaa thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wild Turkey Deep Fry

1st shoot a turkey

2nd, clean the turkey, youll want to pluck it and leave the skin on

Youll need a turkey fryer, a large jug of peanut oil.I like to inject mine with Tony Sacheraz {sp?} injectable creole butter or something similiar before frying.Then put whatever you want for spices on the outside of it, Emeralds essence is good, Ive even used butt rub and things like that, apply it pretty liberally to the entire surface whatever you dcecide to use.

While you getting the turkey ready have the oil in the fryer warming up, dont put in to much oil, just enough to cover the turkey without spilling over.When youre oils at I believe its 325-350 drop the turkey in, youll want a turkey stand of some sort in it or youll play hell getting it back out.Cook it at 325-350 for approximately 3 minutes per pound of bird, a little longer wont hurt it any, i usually give mine an extra 5 minutes just to be safe.Take it out, let it sit untill its cooled enough to cut up, and enjoy

almostforgot, after the peanut oil cools you can put it back in the jug and reuse it a couple times, just strain any chunks out and keep it in cool area, the stuffs kinda spendy so i reuse it till it gets kind of a off brown color to it.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 PM

Cabelas sells a battery pwer strainer....stick it in the pot and it sucks up the oil minus anything else

20 bucks
Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Not the best way to prepare a wild bird IMHO. It works ok with domestic birds. Wild turkey legs are real tough and require a long slow cook, They turn into rubber when deep fried. If you must deep fry just do the breast and keep the legs and thighs for stewing or better yet make ground turkey from them.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Big Guy01

Not the best way to prepare a wild bird IMHO. It works ok with domestic birds. Wild turkey legs are real tough and require a long slow cook, They turn into rubber when deep fried. If you must deep fry just do the breast and keep the legs and thighs for stewing or better yet make ground turkey from them.
Actually never tried frying a wild one before, but Ill take youre word for it.

Cabelas sells a battery pwer strainer....stick it in the pot and it sucks up the oil minus anything else

20 bucks
Those things are awesome, mine crapped out on me last spring though and I never remembered to get a new one, Menards also carries e for about the same price I believe.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Big guy is correct. You need the oil at 325 and keep it around that temp. Dont allow the oil to get over 350. Cook for 3.5 minutes a pound. I usually let mine go for an extra 10 minutes to make sure its done. I enject mine with either butter and salt or Italian dressing...