Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Roast Duck

Old 01-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Roast Duck

I made a successful duck roast this evening. I will share my cooking technique. I will describe specifically what I did, but I think my technique could be adopted to other duck types.

3 Lesser Scaup, whole
5 slices of bacon
kitchen string

I thawed the frozen ducks, washed them inside and out, and dried them off with paper towels. I salted and peppered the ducks inside and out. I cut the bacon slices in half and laid three half strips ontop of the duck -- lengthwise from neck to butt -- and then tied these in place with kitchen string. I put these on a rack inside a heavy, enamalled cast iron pot and cooked 15 minutes in a 380 degree oven. I then covered the pot and cooked another 15 minutes still at 380 degrees. I then lowered the temperature to 350 degrees and cooked another 30 minutes. The ducks were done after this period and were not dried out. I think the cooking time could have been reduced to maybe 55 minutes or maybe even 50 minutes and achieved a slightly moister duck. I am guessing that cooking these ducks in a covered pot helps retain some moisture, although this is not the same as braising the ducks.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Roast Duck

I do it just about that way but I cut a couple of strips off some seasoned apple wood and put the duck on them. When its finished I throw the duck away and eat the wood.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:02 PM

Webb's Duck Bites:

Cut duck breast into 3" - 4" strips
Wrap duck around a slice of water chestnut
Wrap a slice of bacon around duck & chestnut
Sprinkle Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning on bites
Place on grill and brush with Shut My Mouth Pepper Sauce
Turn regularly and continue brushing with Pepper Sauce until done

Tastes awesome!
Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

PM sent.

Ron
Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Duck Confit is the best.. cut the breasts out and leave all the fat on them and score the fat really good then throw it into a hot saute' pan until all the fat is rendered and lower the heat and cook just like a chicken breast. season with salt and pepper and other spices if desired