HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   ? DougMD (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/224597-dougmd.html)

BlackLab 12-28-2007 10:49 AM

? DougMD

Just wondering if you had a chance to play pit master yet :D.

Pygmy 12-30-2007 05:15 AM

RE: ? DougMD

I was wondering how his RABBIT turned out...;)....

DougMD 12-30-2007 08:34 AM

To be honest, I didn't pick it up yet, but am definately getting the Smoky Mountain Outdoors Series smoker. I went to get one two weeks ago when we were posting on the thread, and they only had the big and small onesin stock. One of you guys recommended the big one, but the more I thoughtof it as I looked at it at the store,I don't need the biggest one because I don't envision smoking that much stuff at once.I don't want the SMALL one because it doesn't have the side air control valve and doesn't hold much. I decided tohold out until they got the medium one in stock, but BPro here is terrible on restocking stuff in a timely manner. I see the big one is now on sale for $179. Can you smokedifferent meatsat once, orwillthatmix tastes and come out bad? I was just there yesterday to recheck and they have two big onesin but no mediums yet, so am tempted to break down and buy the big one.

Also,do youvacuumseal and freeze the extra when yousmoke a lot of meat?

Thanks!

DeerWhisperer 12-31-2007 08:15 AM

nice pic doug. When i 1st looked at the pic i thought the kid on the left was flicking us the bird. But then i noticed the gooses head, lol.

DougMD 12-31-2007 08:46 AM

DW, I don't know how to paste a bigger version of it.BTW, I never did get back out to Meade for muzzleloader, with no excuses since I've been off work jsut about the whole time. Are they having the late shotgun season as well?

Big Guy01 12-31-2007 10:10 AM

Get the bigger one, yes you can smoke several things at once. You may want to purchase an extra meat probe so as to keep track of how each meat is doing.

BlackLab 12-31-2007 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: DeerWhisperer

nice pic doug. When i 1st looked at the pic i thought the kid on the left was flicking us the bird. But then i noticed the gooses head, lol.
I had to go back and lookthat is funny :D

There's no problem mixing meats that I have notice. The different meats usually have different rubs with the same smoke. Now if your going to do a lot of mopping it could change the flavor alittle.Somtimes when adding wood chunks I'll fill the water bowl if needed and use a spray bottle to give the meat a little misting just for kicks and giggles :D.
As for freezing leftovers, if there's any left oh hell yes. The vacuum sealer is the ticket and sense the meat is cured it freezeslonger and verywell IMOP ;).

BlackLab 12-31-2007 10:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Big Guy01

Get the bigger one, yes you can smoke several things at once. You may want to purchase an extra meat probe so as to keep track of how each meat is doing.
The meat prob is a great smokers tool, just like a white cane to a blind man.

DougMD 12-31-2007 10:45 AM

Thanks guys! I have one on hold at BPro and will pick it up today.

I don't know when I will do the first batch, but it should be within two weeks or so. I need to assemble the smoker, learn what there is to learn on how to operate it and doing geese and venison, get the right chips and rubs, etc. etc.

BlackLab, BigGuy and others, thanks a lot for all the assistance on this!

DougMD 12-31-2007 03:13 PM

Done! Picked it up and assembled it already. There is a small dent in the front door, but it's only cosmetic.