Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Hunter's Sticks

Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunter's Sticks

ORIGINAL: msrock1954

Recently a good friend of mine talked me into processing my deer. He had just spent some big $$$ at Cabela's and bought the 3/4 h.p.commercial grade grinder, meat mixer, etc. Grinding the meat up for burger was extremely easy, as was stuffing the big 3" casings. Things went progressively downhill when we tried making the hunter's sticks, using the small casing tube on the grinder. We ran meat thru the grinder several times, as well as adding the spices. Probelm was it took a enormous amount of force on the plastic plunger, used to feed the auger, to get anything to come out of the smallerstuffer tube. My shoulder almost fell off after making only a modest amount of the hunter's sticks!!!! We had to be doing something wrong, but for the life of me I don't know what!!! Anyone else have this problem, and if so how'd you get around it.

Man,, try next time using a 750 pound dressed elk,youd be amazed at the results.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Monie

After getting ticked off with mine, I finally took out the plate AND the blade. Things went MUCH smoother after that! What was taking me severl minutes, only took a few seconds after I removed those parts.
So does that mean - you are saying THANK YOU?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol...If someone had told me before hand to do this, then yes, I would be saying thank you.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

Things would go even slicker if you were to get a stuffer and not use the grinder to stuff sausage! As suggested .
Old 01-17-2008, 10:01 AM

Well then next time I will just let you sit there for a couple of hours struggling instead of going out of my way to help you then.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take the plate out
lol...If someone had told me before hand to do this, then yes, I would be saying thank you.
The Riflemanstated this in the4th reply or don't you bother reading all the posts.[>:]