Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Need help on what kind of smoker to get >

Need help on what kind of smoker to get

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Need help on what kind of smoker to get

Old 12-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Need help on what kind of smoker to get

Here's the deal... I don't like gamey tasting deer or geese, and want something fairly easy that works well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg that I can also use for fish and to do jerky. An electric smoker sounds to me like the ticket off the bat,but Iwanted to see what you all thought. I don't want something super expensive, but nothing so cheap it won't work okeither. I'mthinking 25 or so pounds of meat type ofcapacity, max.

Any thoughts???
Old 12-20-2007, 06:15 AM
Spike

Default RE: Need help on what kind of smoker to get

I've got a gas one and to me it's the ticket
Old 12-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Smokey mountain series by Great Outdoors propane smoker is the best buy on the market IMHO.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Big Guy01

Smokey mountain series by Great Outdoors propane smoker is the best buy on the market IMHO.
I'll second & drink to that!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

x3 on the Smokey Mountain Propane model. I have had mine for 3 years, using it for jerky, sausage, roasts, ribs, fish and fowl. Price isright and works great.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

This is the Masterbuilt 7 in 1 smoker/grill, I have the Mini model(25#), this is the 50#er. It also comes in stainless, and I think they have an electric model too. It utilizes either propane or charcoal, and you can use it to grill, smoke, boil, or deep fry(with optional eqip). It is hands down the single best grill/smoker I've ever owned. Masterbuilt has many other models as well.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Bradley electric smoker (40th birthday present). Works well but it's rather pricey and the wood pucks are not cheap either. I've made jerky, salami, peperoni, ribsand corned beef in mine and the results were excellent.

Pros: well made stainless steel construction, easy to use, repeatable results, great support forums with loads of recipes and tips, auto feed wood pucks for constant smoke, can cold smoke food.

Cons: Price, must use bradley wood pucks,hard to hold temp when its windy out (I saved the box it came in and use it as a wind shield-works well), hard to come up to temp with heavy loads of meat (I think this is true for most electric smokers).

If I had to do it again I would look harder at a propane unit, bradley makes a propane smoker but again their units are pricey.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Smokey Mountain it is.

BPro only has the bigger one in stock, which is 24 inches wide instead of 16. What size is that one in your picture, BlackLab, and would you recommend the bigger one or not? Also, does it come with a how to book on different meats/times to smoke, types of wood, etc.?

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

That isthe one to get (16x24). I have the same one you will like the extra size.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Big Guy01

That isthe one to get (16x24). I have the same one you will like the extra size.
Hey Big Guy01 maybe we should get in touch with great outdoors to see if we can get a commission on sales

Yep size does matter get the bigger one.

To be honest doug I can't remember if it had a how to recipe book or not, I don't think it did. If I may suggest a book that I use and get great ideas from Smoke & Spice authors are Cheryl and Bill Jamison. This book imo will give you what you want times temps recipes easy to read and lots of good ideas. The types of wood you use will be on taste. I mainly use hick for most of mysmoking and alder for fish like salmon. Here's some 14hr pulled pork. Big guy01 has tons of pics too

Quick Reply: Need help on what kind of smoker to get

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.