Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

DEER JERKY

Old 12-12-2007, 12:25 PM

Default DEER JERKY

I HAVE USED THE SAME JERKY RECIPE FOR A FEW YEARS AND I WAS WONDERING WHAT OTHER RECIPES ARE OUT THERE.IF YOU COULD PLEASE POST YOUR RECIPES SO I CAN GET AN IDEA CAUSE THIS SAME JERKY IS WEARING ON ME.I KNOW THERE IS BETTER JERKY RECIPES OUT THERE AND JUST HOPE YOU GUY'S SHARE YOUR RECIPES WITH ME and my family.THANKS SB4 MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERY ONE. d
Old 12-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: DEER JERKY

I marinate the meat in Hunt's hickory and brown sugar BBQ sauce for about a day with some seasoned pepper and garlic powder mixed in then i place the strips on the oven rack and put on some more seasoned pepper, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and some red pepper. Tasted best the 2nd day.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:15 PM

do you use liquid smoke or flavor enhancer?how long does it take your dehydrater to make jerky?mine takes 14 hours and my buddy's takes 4 hours.it has a fan on bottem and it has lil vent hole's on the top.do i want to leave the vent all the way open or halfway or close it?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmm, a recipe would imply doing the same thing every time...a foreign concept to me. I use some combination of soy sauce, pepper (black and red), cajun spice, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, onion powder, worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, brown sugar, cure (that I measure). Usually mix and marinade/cure overnight, then about 8 hours in my Nesco dehydrator (the one with the fan on the bottom). I have also occasionally used the "kit" spices.

I'm getting hungry for some, I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night with that pre-cut jerky meat in the freezer.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

It may be the lazy mans way but I have grown fond of High Mountain Jerky Seasoning.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

High Mountain makes some of the best seasoning. Nesco isnt too bad either.
ORIGINAL: kellyguinn

It may be the lazy mans way but I have grown fond of High Mountain Jerky Seasoning.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:51 PM

i use uncle abes venison jerky seasoning , instacure , ground venison out of a jerky shooter in a dehydrator awesome end result !!!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:02 PM

ive been making jerky this way for 15 years after trying many ways . the only thing is i do it sort of by feel , with out exact measurements . i start with about 5 lbs. of ground venison , mix in about 2-3 tablespoons of insta cure, the meat will become very tacky and change color(to a light brown) , i then mix in around 1 cup of uncle abes venison jerky mix ,( and about a teaspoon full of liquid smoke) if you like it smokey. put it in a jerky shooter , and lay it out of the gun on dehydrator trays , dry it out for 6 hours or so. its pretty good , you will not be disapointed.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

maybe I'm one of the few people here that uses an oven to cook mine, just place it on a jerky rack and put it in the oven for 3 hours and 220 degrees. seems to work pretty good
Old 12-15-2007, 05:54 PM

My recipe is G19 classified (j/k....no not really). I must be doing it right though because I havent ever given someone a piece without them asking for more.

Quick Reply: DEER JERKY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.