Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

My processor is an idiot.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My processor is an idiot.

Everyone should learn how to butcher their deer themselves. I learned from a book. Granted it takes me longer than a pro but when I get done there isn't 1 ounce fat total left. And for those who have doubts about their skills, you'll still be left with ground meat, stew meat, shish ka bobs. plenty you can do if you screw up. But you won't know how easy it is till you try it. Let alone the $ savings.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: thinktwicez71

like i said .......be there to watch them , see what they throw away , alot of places won't even let you stay there to watch , those are the places i wouldn't go to EVER . I can understand the big problem that everyone gets pissed off cause i have heard alot of "stealing" stories from the hunters that have gone to other places. No1 else where we cut deer will let you watch , and you get your deer back in a "few days " To them your a number and to us your a person. alot of these places treat us hunters like crap , but what they don't understand is without us hunters we would not have our cutting buisness. I do it to hang out with my grandfather , talk to the hunters , laugh have fun , and make a little money on the side.

plus i love hearing the hunting story from each deer !
I would trust you to do mine, thats a good thing you have goin.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:05 PM

yeah , it is a great thing going , deer cutting for me is my christmas club , helps out with the presents and stuff , and i enjoy all the time i get to spend with my granfather . I think next year i might be on my own cause of his age and all it's getting harder on him .It'll be very weird not having him out there with me cutting , but i know he will be there sitting hanging out with his old hunting pals , hearing the new "BS" i mean holy grail stories lol
Old 12-17-2007, 07:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Rhino259

In the past I would either process my own deer or take it to a local custom meat shop if I was busy. I didn't have time to butcher the doe I shot recently so I brought it to this shop. The way they operate is they give you a sheet to fill out of what cuts you want. I put the typical stuff. Steaks, Tenderloin, Summer Sausage, and told them to grind whatever was leftover. I went to pick it up today and they had ground my entire deer. This really ticks me off becuase I paid in advance with a credit card so I couldn't just refuse the meat because then I would be out my $50.00. So now I'm stuck with a freezer full of ground meat. Which is bad because theres plenty you can do with ground meat it just ticks me off that they can't follow simple instructions. I mean they offered no explanation as to why they ground the whole thing. And they have done a good job in the past so I don't get why this time was different. So to make a long story short I won't be going to that processor any more. More then likely I will give away most of this meat and butcher my next deer myself. Sorry for the long story. I just needed to vent.
Unfortunately there is no test to becoming a butcher.

I would guess that drugs or alcohol played a major role in what they did, along with the chance that someone else came in and got your meat and they had no way of replacing it - so they gathered up all the loose ground meat that they could find to try to make it up to you.

I was in a butchershop one day and some deadbeats came in to pick up their deer and they had a big old box full of meat and they had the balls to ask if they had any beefsticks left over - because they would like to buy some extra.

Now I doubt if they had more than 40 lbs of meat when they deboned the deer that they road huntedin the first place and they had 60 lbs of meat in their box.

The only way the butcher shop would have anything extra is if they cheated someone else.

I hate it when I take a big old 175 lbs mulie and I come back and they try to hand me a 40 lbs box of meat.

I almost burned down the butchershop one time over that one. Ends up they came back and fessed up that they lost my meat and when they found it - they called me back and had me come and pick the rest up.

Their advice was not to skin or quartermy deer before I brought it in to be cut up. I brought them 1 1/2 deer to fill a 1 deer order this year - to make sure that they had enough meat. I just wonder now how much the bill will be when I get there.

$40 just to cut one deer up and I had 10 lbs of beef sticks, jerky, bologna, weiners, and kelbassa made.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

If i'm going to kill it,then i'm going to skin,quarter,grind,cube,package,thaw,grill and eat it...........learn to do yourself.its all part of the hunt.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 PM

A couple days ago I got another deer. Since I am done with this semester of school I was able to butcher it myself this time. I would much rather do it myself everytime. But seeing how busy I was before there was no way I could find time. I was talking to some guys at my school and one of their dads processes deer so if I have to have someone else do one ofr me sometime I'm going to try this guys dad.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

That processor has been been pinching (steaks, tenderloins)meats from others that have brought meat into the place and you ended up with the grinds,,

shoot the place up or pay to have it done
Old 12-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also don't see the point of buying my deer back from a butcher at 4 dollars a pound..... I shot it..... I clean it.... and I make whatever the hell I want.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

If all processors were like Thinktwice there would be no threads like this.
Caveat emptor and solid references are your best insurance against getting ripped off.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

50.00 to grind a deer. Not bad.

I much prefer to process my deer but in the past I've taken some in. Usually it waswhen we came back from deer camp in WI and we'd have as many as five deer at the same time. (It was almost entirely my job from gutting to cutting.) There was just no way I could get it all done and still work.

The processor I went was pretty expensive, if I remember correctly basic cutting was 70.00. My deer average 120.00 each.

I was pleased for the most part but one time I asked for 10#s of deer dogs. (my then hubby wanted some) They ended up hotdogitizing an entire deer! I don't even like hot dogs. Bleagh! It was like 60lbs of hotdogs.

Another time they gave me abig box of deer salami instead of my box of deer steaks and roasts. I didn't notice until I was unloading the boxes into the freezers. I called them and they said keep the salami, but they couldn't find my deer. 60lbs of salami. (but at leastI like salami)

Quick Reply: My processor is an idiot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.