Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deer Steak Recipes??

Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 PM

Default RE: Deer Steak Recipes??

Another favorite of mine is to marinate my steaks in Lowry's Steak and Chop 30 min. marinate. Although 30 minutes is ok I like to marinate them in the fridge for 12-24 hours in a zip lock bag for more flavor. I turn the bag over several times through out the day just to make sure both sides are in the marinate. Then I cook them on the grill over medium heat for 5 minutes each side. My steaks are usually about 1/2 inch thick and are cooked medium-well.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:39 AM

Default RE: Deer Steak Recipes??

Hands down my favorite marinade for any steak. I have used this recipe with elk and venison, and it is wonderful when done on the grill.

Wild Game Meat Marinade

1 1/2 Pounds Boneless meat
1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Minced Onion
1 tsp. Garlic Salt
1/4 Cup Vinegar
1/2 tsp. Pepper
2 Tbsp. Ketchup
1/2 tsp. Dry Mustard
2 Tbsp. Oil

Trim or cut up meat. Set aside. Mix all remaining ingredients well with a wisk. Coat pieces of meat with marinade and place in shallow pan. Pour remaining marinade over meat, cover, and refrigerate for several hours. Broil using marinade to baste.

I marinade about 24 hours vs. several hours and I use olive or canola oil.

Previous was original recipe. The following is what I do when I make the recipe.

First off I double or triple the recipe right away. I use 1/2 tspn. prepared yellow mustard instead of 1/2 tsp dry mustard. Dry mustard seems to make give the meat too much of a mustard taste. And I always marinade at least 24 hours.