Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Pheasant anyone?

Old 01-21-2003, 06:46 PM

Default Pheasant anyone?

I took my boys bird hunting for their first time last weekend. (My first outing in a LONG time) Anyway, I am looking for a good recipe for them. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:46 AM

Default RE: Pheasant anyone?

Woody heres a simple "guy" recipe. Simply brown a few breast fillets on both sides (dont cook all the way through) and put in a crock pot. Add 1-2 cans of cream of mushroom soup(or more depending on how many fillets on in there). Put her on low and slow. 8-10hrs later, put over rice or noodles. Even I cant screw this one up.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Woody, sitters recipe is good !!! My mother used to do the same thing with a brown gravy, mushrooms and actual wild rice !!!!

Man, I am hungry now, LOL

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear !"
Old 01-22-2003, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the info, and I really like the difficultly level as I am slightly cooking impaired. But I have a question, do you think this would work if I was to use all the meat, and not just the breast? I guess that some of the would be small, but maybe add some flavor? Just wondering.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:36 PM

Honestly Ive never tried it. I am not a big leg/thigh fan on the pheasant. Kinda tuff for my taste. I usually save them for soups ect... But give it a try, they may come out ok. Let me know.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:49 PM

Woody there are many ways to feast on pheasant. I say the easiest ways I have found is to boil the birds down and de-bone them. then you can make pheasant noodle soup which is the same as chicken, but with pheasant instead! another good simple recipe is pheasant pot pie. most stores have the pre made pie crust. buy a few of those add pheasnt cut into chunks ( cooked ), vegetables of your choice and pre made gravy ( I prefer to make my own gravy just tastes better.) chicken gravy that is! mix up the bird chunx, vegies,salt and pepper and gravy. place the pie crust in a small, well greased, pyrex or similar container ( single serving size ) trim off the edges, add the mixture, put the other pie crust over top, pinch off the crust so to seal the pie. at this point turn your oven on to 350. take 2 eggs put in bowl and beat well. once beaten well take a cooking brush and brush the egg over the top of the pie crust lightly.then sprinkle parm. cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes or until crust edges are light brown. best served with rice or egg noodles! hope you enjoy let me know how you liked it if you try!
Old 01-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-08-2003, 03:44 PM

A northern SD 'down home' recipe that is sure to clog what ain't already clogged...

Brown the breasts with a flour/lawrys/salt/pepper mix in HEAVY butter

Once good & browned place breasts in baking dish - cover with 1/2 & 1/2 - bake 350 for an hour

Once done take 1/2 & 1/2 - pour back into 'browning' pan and use as your gravy base -

Add this to home grown spuds & good corn & you've got a feast no one can resist!

The gravy is sweet & salty & out of this world!

Aim small miss small
Old 02-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-17-2003, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I take the breasts off and use as you would chicken ,chicken parm,fajitas etc. the legs and thighs you can bone out grind the meat and use for tacos.hope this helps.