HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   first time dehydrator user. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/217340-first-time-dehydrator-user.html)

Rodmax 11-12-2007 05:21 PM

first time dehydrator user.

I just got a dehydrator,(borrowed) to try jerky this way. I have figured it out in the oven but I have been told dehydrated is better...
Anything I should Know before making my first batch tomorrow??
any ideas on time ?? book with the machine sayes 4 - 14 hrs???
that is quite a spread!!thanks,Rodney.

wis_bow_huntr 11-13-2007 06:00 AM

RE: first time dehydrator user.

what i like to do is seaon the strips for 24 hours in the firdge. The best jerky meat is meat that has been frozen for about 30 days. Thaw completely, season with jerky cure and seasoning of your choice, layer in pan or bowl, cover and place in fridge for 24 hours. Place in dehydrator but not so much that the air cant circulate throught he tray layers. Dehydrate 4-14 hours depending on thickness of the cuts. Let cool and enjoy!

Leafrivermac 11-18-2007 07:41 PM

I've been making jerky for yrs in a dehydrator. Must be good because I can't make enough of it . . . .I even have to go undercover to make it at times , so many of my friends and relations are hooked on it.

Thin strips . . .no fat . . .tallow
Delute dales liquid seasoning to taste . . . -+1/2 dales to -+ water
Optional . . .liquid smoke
Marinate venison strips in mixture overnight
Place on dehydrator without overlaping and pepper well (I like peppercorn)

I have sent this stuff all over the world . . .mostly to military overseas. The only complaint I have ever had is when I mixed the Dales too strong.

Rodmax 11-20-2007 05:11 PM

I made one batch in the dehydrator but I then returned to the oven method, I found the dehydrated stuff very tough, Maybe too long.... 12 hours in the dehydrator, but i think I have almost mastered the oven method.I have to make 1 or 2 pounds every other day...

falconwolf 11-25-2007 03:36 PM

I was in the Food Preservation project for 4-H as a kid for 10 years, and my best recommendation would be to cut all your strips the same width. A meat slicer is awesome for this if you have it. That way, you won't have to mess with checking every2 hours to pull the done ones off and wait for the rest....or have slices half crispy and half raw.

bgcorn 11-27-2007 10:08 AM

I leave mine in the dehydrator 5-6 hrs and it is just right. 12 hours may be a little too long. I marinate my venison in Hi Mountain Jerky Spice 24 hours in refridge before placing in dehydrator.

James B 12-06-2007 05:17 PM

For tender jery use ground meat. Roll it out with a rolling pin, cut it into strips and proceed as you would with sloced meat. However it will be much more tender than sliced. We often just use liquid smoke and canning salt.

tourangeaud 12-12-2007 03:09 PM

I dehydrated about 5 pound just the other night. The meat had been frozen for since Oct. I let itbegin to thaw,and then cut the semi frozen meat into similar size pieces. Marinate the meat for 24 hours. I used the jerky cure from Wally World, plus I add a few other spicesand liquids. I put the meat into the dehydrator at 8 pm and I removed it around 5 am. That is when I woke up, and I remembered the jerky. It just happened to turn out perfect. Practice makes perfect. Good luck.