Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

deer proccessing

Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by tj_cubin
What?!? On our deer the tenderloins are out of the deer by noon and on the table for dinner!

I know right...always thought they were overrated. Grew up the same tenders out and on the pan or grill right away. Good but just not my favourite meat on a deer. I like elk and moose tenderloin but deer I'll trade backstrap for tenders any day of the week.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

To me the tenderloins are top.. Just never enough of them on a deer.. or anything for the matter.. The loin or backstrap are only second to the tenderloin in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's one of the three
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tburA...eature=related

then there's this although not a vid. it's step by step.
http://www.bowhuntingtalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=11178
Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's really easy once you do it a couple of times. I eat the tenderloins same day. Cut the backstraps into 2" thick steaks. Rear quarters are more steaks, roasts, stew meat, jerky. I separate the rear quarters top round, bottom round, sirloin, and the eye. Front quarters usually mostly get ground for burger maybe some jerky too. Neck goes for burger, Usually don't use the meat from in between the ribs, if I do it also goes for burger. Flanks go for burger. Hocks usually go for burger but are full of tendons etc. I do everything boneless. A good way to do part of your burger is to coarse grind it with 10-20% apple smoked bulk bacon (bacon cheeseburgers, breakfast sausage). The rest of the burger I grind with 10% pork fat. Never had any complaints. Actually people who claim to not like venison eat it and say they like it. A lot of the quality is in how the meat is handled and processed. I have let a deer hang anywhere between a few hours to 2 weeks depending on the temperature outside. Usually hang it in the garage to keep it out of direct sunlight. If you kill one when it is extremely cold, get that sucker skinned right away. If the hide freezes on your deer it is extremely difficult to remove. Also like others mentioned, when it is hot out, quarter it and get it in a big cooler of ice right away. But I leave the ice in the bags and put the quarters in trash bags (non-scented) to keep the water off it. You don't want the meat to soak in the water. Make sure you have some extremely sharp knives, it will really make the job much easier, especially when removing the fat & silver skin. Hope this helps.

PS - When cutting your steaks make sure you cut across the grain. That will make a difference bewteen tender and nearly impossible to chew. Also don't "overcook" your venison as it tends to dry it out and make it tough. Venison is naturally lean it will dry out very easily. I cook my steakson a very hot grill for only a few minutes. Rare to medium rare at most personally. I have seen people basically ruin a good piece of venison by over cooking it.

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 11-06-2012 at 09:32 AM.