Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Is the meat still good

Old 10-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is the meat still good

I have venison inmy freezer since last year. it was not vaccuum sealed. Just wrapped in the plastic trays from teh butcher. My wife swears it is a different color then it use to be. Is it bad, how can i check.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Inactive

Default RE: Is the meat still good

It should still be good, but you may have some freezer burn. Cut the "burn" area away and any "discoloured meat.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Wow! I've never had anything sit in my freezer an entire year. Not even a hot dog.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

It probably has some freezer burn, cut it away as x-mountie suggested and it should still be good for stew meat. Next time when you get it home give the cuts a coat of vegetable oil and rewrap in several layers of freezer rated plastic wrap to exclude all air. Freezing air is the enemy of any food. This is what I do, and I've got meat two years old in my freezer that tastes like fresh killed.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:59 PM

Solid meat (stew, roast, or steaks) Will be OK, but I'd eat it soon and cook it well. If its Ground throw it out. 3 months max on ground meats. I know alot of guys keep it alot longer and don't have any problems, but I've had serious food posioning and its not worth it.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

It will be alright just cut any freezer burn away

Old 11-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

The meat will be good (safe to eat) as long as it has been kept frozen. You won't get food poisoning from it . The worst that can happen is some freezer burn (meat dries out) and some taste and texture change.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:52 PM

i'm eating meat from last year right now. it tastes fine. i had it wrapped in freezer paper. theres no freexer burn or anything. i just ate chipped steak from last year and it was fine too. the worst thing that can happen to meat is to partially thaw then refreeze. you are definitely going to get freezer burn and bad meat out of that.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:37 PM

I have sausage from last year that I stored in freezer bags that is still as good as it was the day I made it.

Always repack your meat in freezer paper or freezer bags after you bring it home from the meat processors. The same as you would regular meat from a grocery store.

Cook it and eat it.

Most modern freezers will not burn deer meat if it is packaged properly.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

I believe if you have a frost-free freezer your more apt to get freezer burn. I think your manual defrosts it take a bit longer.

Quick Reply: Is the meat still good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.