HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Deer heart (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/212190-deer-heart.html)

BlackLab 10-15-2007 06:22 PM

Deer heart

Need a couple recipes thanx ;)

MikeVT 10-16-2007 10:54 AM

RE: Deer heart

Melt a stick of butter, throw in some onions, slice up the heart and liver and fry up. Toward the end when the butter has cooked off, throw in at least a 1/2 lb bacon and finish frying. That's our deer camp method.

Big Guy01 10-16-2007 08:04 PM

Heart Hoagies

[/b]
I deer heart, sliced thin
1 lb. Fresh mushrooms
1 onion sliced thin
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs. margarine
2 Hoagy buns, split
Swiss cheese slices

Saute heart slices, onion, garlic and mushrooms in a large pan on Med. heat until the heart is med. rare. Do not over cook! Arrange buns open faced on a cooking sheet. Spread meat mixture on top of buns and add cheese slices on top. Bake at 350 until cheese melts.

StuffedDeer Heart

1Deer heart
1 c Fine bread crumbs
1 Stock of celery, chopped
1/2 tsp. Salt
4 Tbs. Melted butter
1 Small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. Sage
1/4 tsp. Pepper
Flour, salt and pepper for dredging.

Wipe heart with a damp cloth, soak overnight in salted water, and then drain.

Mix stuffing ingredients in order given.

Drain the heart, hollow out the top and stuff with the sage dressing, and then close the opening.

Dredge heart in flour, salt and pepper.

Dot with butter or dripping.

Place in a covered roaster and bake in a 325-degree oven until done, about 3 hours, basting occasionally.

DBerrard 10-17-2007 03:40 AM

Sounds good Big Guy, may have to try that next month. We always just diced the heart and fried it in olive oil... fried diced potatoes in another frying pan and had at it. No creativity I guess.[:-]

BlackLab 10-19-2007 09:09 AM

Thanx all!

Theyseem really simple and sound oh so good ;).

Tom_L 10-19-2007 03:25 PM

Remove all fat and valves from the heart, cut up into chunks.

Fry a vidalia onion in some butter (obviously, the more the better). After the onions are done to taste add a clove of chopped garilc and the heart. Fry for a few minutes, add spices according to your tastes.

This is always camp food, so I keep it simple. Use the same recipe for liver.

dipits 10-20-2007 03:51 PM

Remove fat and valves ; cut into 4 pieces then pressure cook. Let cool and slice into thin strips & follow any beef stroganif (spelling) recipe.

Fletch NY 10-29-2007 05:14 PM

Fastest part gone on any deer taken here. Stinking kids! My 5 and 7 year old love it. trim it up good, slice and fry in butter. Never had any last long enough to bother trying more recipees!!

waiting_for_a_gift 10-30-2007 02:12 PM

I always boil the heart, for 45 minutes or so, then refrigerate, slice up for sandwhich, with onions of course.

patgrizzlyhunter 10-31-2007 05:30 PM

cut out arteries and soak the heart in water to get the blood taste out. then stuff with stove top stuffing and chopped onions wrap in foil and throw in the fire (bed of coals) eat like that or slice to put on sandwiches