Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Bear steaks

Old 01-17-2002, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bear steaks

Does anyone have expierience with bear steaks. I have a recipe for roast, but would like to try steaks. I have only a limited supply of bearmeat as I did not kill one and this was given to me. Thanks alot. Good Luck. Capt Brad.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:33 PM

Default RE: Bear steaks

Brad,
I don't have anything for steaks but I have a friend in Arkansas that gave me this recipe. I used it only one time as bear meat is hard to come by.
I hope you use it and enjoy it.2 pounds bear, elk, deer or beef cut into ½ inch cubes
¼ C flour 1 T minced garlic
salt and pepper ½ tsp. caraway seed
2 T paprika ¼ C tomato paste
4 strips bacon diced 1 pint beef broth
1 C diced onion 1 bay leaf

Sprinkle meat with salt pepper, paprika and flour. Place bacon in a 4” deep pan and cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp. Add meat and lightly brown. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender. Add caraway, bay leaf and tomato paste, sauté. Add broth and bring to a boil. The flour will slightly thicken the broth as it comes to a boil. Place in a 350-degree oven and cook until meat is tender, approximately one hour. Serve over spaetzle or noodles.

Old 01-18-2002, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Capt...I have killed a bear each of the past 3 yrs, and love the meat. It takes a little care to get it right, but it is delicious.
Here's a recipe I use for steak & gravy.

Take 4 large bear steaks and pound with a tenderizing mallet. (The edge of a saucer will also work) This tenderized the meat. Then dredge in flour and fry/brown in a butter/oil mix. Use an iron skillet or oven safe skillet.

Either make your own gravy or use a jar/packet of mushroom gravy. Pour over meat in pan, cover and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.

It's tender and delicious.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Pro-line that sounds great. I will give it a go. Thanks alot. Good Luck. Capt Brad.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Hunt, my appolligies. For some reason or other, I didn't see your post. That sounds great. I'll give it a try also. Thanks alot. Capt Brad.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Bar tenderloins fried in garlic, onions, butter and pepper over a camp fire is the best.

Eric
Old 01-27-2002, 10:17 AM

Hi;
We have bear quite often. Make sure you remove as much of the fat as possible, as it has a strong flavour. Tenderize or marinate if it is from an older animal. Fry or grill, as you would any steak, adding your favorite seasonings. We like cajun, or just onions and mushrooms, depends on the mood of the moment. Bear is kinda like sweet beef, so use that as a guide. Be sure to cook to medium as you would pork, as trichinosis is a possiblity.

T.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:06 PM

Ah yes, the much maligned bear meat. I think it's great. Tanya hit it on the head - very similar to beef, but slightly sweeter. Also, a little coarser texture (but not necessarily tough). My grandfather was a butcher all his life and he always thought it was a lot like meat from a bull in taste and texture. Most people can't tell it from beef if its been well cared for.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:20 PM

beer steaks....oh i love em.....
Just get a fine cut of your favorite kind of steak...and let it marinate in your favorite beer(preferibly coors lite) overnight..so that the beer sets into your meat..and then the next day cook to your delight..
Old 02-05-2002, 07:42 AM

My wife fixed a bear roast with potatoes and carrots in a roasting bag.It was delicious,everyone liked it ..