Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deer Jerky Dehydrator

Old 09-06-2007, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Jerky Dehydrator

I second trying the cold drying method, if you have the space.

Dehydrating meat is completely different from air-drying meat.

I have also read that food dehydrators can be unsafe.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Whatever you do dont buy one the rotates or spins. I have had 2 and both broke down within 3 or 4 uses.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Here is a new idea for you. Flipping through the channels I saw on food network where a guy was making beef jerkey. He said that the heat that is created by dehydrators is not so good for the jerkey (I forgot the logic he used) so he uses a "cold drying" method which is pretty simple.
He had a good ole standard window box fan like this. We probably all have them laying around.

Then he got some pleated furnace/air conditioner air filters like you use in your house, about a buck each at Wal-mart.

Put the jerkey in the pleates, stack as many filters as you need, bungie them to the fan and plug it in for 6 to 8 hours with the air blowing through the filters/over the jerkey.

I'm going to try it this year just for fun.
this wa son the foodnetwork so good eat will elton brown great show and he knows his stuff

i was going to try the method but just got a 30 dollar bass pro model dhyrater
i have talked to a few people that have done the fax method but what worryed me was with out heat there is nothing to kill the bad stuff

but he said by doing it cold method it drys it and does not cook it like reguler models which heat the meat to 170 degrees
Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

The food Network will air the fan drying episode Sept 14 at 11pm and Sept 15th at 2am Eastern
Old 09-13-2007, 12:10 AM

navy, sounds ok for drying byt it dosen't do any thing to kill the bactiria that causes spoilage. After cold drying, it will have to be pasturized.

Up until the days of refrigeration, salt was used for keeping meats from spoilage. In this day and time we use the term "cure" for the word of preserving meat. Modern cures are either sodium nitrite/nitrate or potasium nitrate added along with salt to the meat to prevent bacteria/spoilage. These are actually a type oftoxin and can be harmful if not used properly. The amount of nitrites are so small, that in orderto cure 100lbs of meat they are added to salt as a carrying agent. The most common cure is availible on most meat markets and is pink in color. Most comercial jerky mixes have this included. I always use a cure for making jerky and dry sausages that are not cooked.

I prefer to cold smoke the meats and then if further drying is required it will be hung in an air conditioned room with a small fan to circulate the air.

Here's a pic of some venison being smoked/cured..........

Old 09-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have talked to a few people that have done the fan method but what worryed me was with out heat there is nothing to kill the bad stuff

but he said by doing it cold method it drys it and does not cook it like reguler models which heat the meat to 170 degrees
Thats where the cures/ nitrates come in. Once soaked/mixed in it prevents botulism.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

I have the Gardenmaster and it works great. It is expandable up to 16 trays.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0013250510825a&navCount=0&podI d=0013250510825&parentId=cat570005&masterp athid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=search_redir&a mp;catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&am p;indexId=cat570005&hasJS=true
Old 09-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

I have a dehydrator but prefer to use my "smokey Mountain" Smoker. I just put a fine screen on the grills, fill her up with jerky strips set it on low . It holds 130-150 f for about 4-5 hrs and the jerky is done. You can even apply smoke to it which really boosts the flavour.
Right now I have a batch (50 lbs) of tomatoes in my smoker. I'll end up with smoked sun dried tomatoes
Old 09-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Fork Horn

I also saw the episode of good eats where he makes jerky and personally cant wait til i have time to try it, He is a real pro when it comes to food, i bet the jerky made that way turns out great
Old 09-19-2007, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I got the 80 liter one from Cabelas commerical grade. It it nice. Have had it for 2 years. WHen I got it the front door was broke. All glass. I could tell without even opening the box. I called Cabelas the lady had the UPS guy there the next day to pick it up and I had my new one overnighted on them. Good company.

Quick Reply: Deer Jerky Dehydrator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.