HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Canning meats? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/203598-canning-meats.html)

drstalker 08-22-2007 07:58 PM

Canning meats?

I was wondering if any of you have ever canned vennison before?I just started pressure canning this summer and have been reading about pressure canning meats and will give it a try soon.One of my buddies a few years ago gave ma a jar of canned vennison that we would eat right out of the mason jar without heating,it was packed in a gelatin mixture,and man was it excelent.Any reciepies here?

Big Guy01 08-22-2007 09:23 PM

RE: Canning meats?

MEAT CANNING BROTH[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
· 5 CUPS WATER[/b]
· 5 BEEF BOVRIL(LOW SODIUM)[/b]
· 3 OR 4 CRUSHED GARLIC CLOVES[/b]
· 1 TBSP WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE[/b]
· 3 TSP PICKLING SALT[/b]
· 1 TBSP MARJORAM[/b]
· I TBSP HOT CHILIS[/b]
· 1 TSP GROUND FENNEL[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
FILLS 6 500 ML MASON JARS [/b]
[/b]
Fill jars with meat chunks, top up with boiling broth, remove any air bubbles, adjust lids. Process as per your canner instructions.[/b]

drstalker 08-23-2007 05:03 AM

Thank's Biguy.I've got a few roasts left from last season and will give it a try.I have seen some similar recipies on the web and in a book that I have.It's god stuff.

Big Guy01 08-23-2007 06:45 AM

If you have a smoker try this with your roasts its fantastic

Pastrami[/b]
[/b]
5 lb. Venison round roast, or two 2.5 lb. roasts
2.5 liters water
5 Tbs. pickling salt
2 Tbs. cure #1
¼ cup crushed garlic
2 Tbs. brown sugar

Spice coating[/b]
2 Tbs. black Pepper, cracked
3 Tbs. Coriander, cracked
1 Tbs. crushed Garlic

Dissolve salt, sugar and cure in the water, add the crushed garlic . Pump(inject) the meat with some ofthe brine. Put roasts in the remaining brine. Place in the fridge for 4 days.
Remove meat from brine pat dry then rub the surface with the crushed garlic. Crush the pepper and coriander with a mortar and pestle. Press into the cracked pepper / coriander mix until coated on all sides.
Place in smoker on low. Water pan should be used. Smoke for about 3 hrs on low smoker temp 150F no smoke, then turn up to med, with heavy smoke, to 180-200 F, smoke until an internal temp of 160 F is achieved. Cool and slice thin, or freeze.

farmcntry 08-23-2007 12:46 PM

We can deer all the time. Chunk it up in about 1" squares and fill the quart jar about 3/4 way full. Add 1 t-spoon of salt and can it at 15 to 18 pressure for 45 minutes. No need to add anything else to it.

When done, empty into a cast iron skillet and add a pack of brown gravy mix.

(Not as fancy as Big Guy, but still mmm mmm good!);)

WVCritter 08-26-2007 09:08 PM

I've canned lots of venison. I usually debone all the meat and trim off all the silver skin and tendons and cut into 1 inch cubes. I pack it into pint or quart jars leaving about 1 inch head space and add a table spoon of canning salt to quarts , 1/2 tablespoon for pints. I don't add any liquid. Put the lids on and pressure cook in the canner at 12 to 15 pounds for 90 minutes for quarts and 75 minutes for pints. When I use my pressure canner, I always let it come to a heavy steam before I trip the pressure valve and start timming when it reaches the desired pressure. Heres a link that will help. http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/cann...PSESSID=6d4888

Pawildman 08-26-2007 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: WVCritterGitter

I've canned lots of venison. I usually debone all the meat and trim off all the silver skin and tendons and cut into 1 inch cubes. I pack it into pint or quart jars leaving about 1 inch head space and add a table spoon of canning salt to quarts , 1/2 tablespoon for pints. I don't add any liquid. Put the lids on and pressure cook in the canner at 12 to 15 pounds for 90 minutes for quarts and 75 minutes for pints. When I use my pressure canner, I always let it come to a heavy steam before I trip the pressure valve and start timming when it reaches the desired pressure. Heres a link that will help. http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/meat.php?PHPSESSID=6d4888
WVCritterGitter uses the same method I have used for years with great success exactly. About the only difference is that I add a SMALL amt. of water to the meat in the jars and also stick a clove of Garlic on top before I seal them and put them in the pressure cooker.
Once people get a taste of it, you'll have to beat them off with a stick...

drstalker 08-27-2007 05:10 AM

Great replies guys thank's.I love canned venison.I have been canning tomato juice,whole tomatos and slsa verde,this ha been a great learning experience.The tomato juice has been making some very tasty bloody mary's.Thank's for the link wvcritterg.

leehop 08-27-2007 07:49 PM

I plan to start canning and smoking meat and veggies when I get on my new place in SC. I know that SC bans any inprted meat with bones or brain and spinal cord. One of the books I bought on field dressing and butchering recomends deboning venison because of WD. What I want to know is this, do any of you debone without cutting any of the bones or joints.

drstalker 08-27-2007 08:24 PM

Leehop,I process my deer with minimal bone cutting,generally just splitting the pelvis,and cutting the rear hind quarters away.Much of the CWD is thought to be transfered by cutting into the spinal collumn,and handling the brain per se.I don't worry about it,they have found it in some areas here in northern Illinois.There is a video out made by a guy named Bill Helsgrave,he is a butcher from Wisconsin in an area with a large number of deer thought to have CWD,he shows how to fillet deer and not cut any bone.It is an interesting video that can be purchased at Gander mountain .