Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

gamey tasting meat

Old 08-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default gamey tasting meat

my wife wont eat deer because of the wild taste. is there anything I can do to minimize it?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: gamey tasting meat

Not too much you can do now. Next time gut and skin the deer right away,Cool it, do not hang!!! Age it for a few days in large pieces ina spare fridge.Butcher it yourself, remove all fat, blue membrane, use a knife to debone. A saw drags marrow and bone dust through the meat. Venison doesn't have a gammy taste.Poor field dressing, carcase care,orbutchering is your cause of the bad taste!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:34 PM

this is what i do is i put it in some vinger and salt water for a few hr.s comes out good for me
Old 08-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

Put your deer in a crock pot and have it cubed up.Pour two bottles
of Bulls Eye barbecue sauce over it and two bottles of water that
the sauce was in.Cook on low about 6 or 8 hours and this should
remove most of your gamey taste.Goes good when you place the
venision on some self rising rolls.Good Luck! Mike
Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 PM

Put the thawed meat in a tuperware container. Add a little water, Ice, Vinger, and Lemon juice. Let soak for a day or 2 in the fridge. Drain the water , add fresh water and ice a couple of times. When you get all of the blood out of the meat you should have also removed any funky flavors.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Soaking the meat overnight in buttermilk works real good also. Just rinse off the meat and cook as you normally do.

Ron
Old 08-17-2007, 01:43 AM

Like the other fella said..After quartering your deer wash it off to get rid of the blood especially the shoulders. Lay inside refrigerator..I have a fridge that i only use for game meat..Let it stay for 5 days and then have it butchered or do it yourself..Leave silverskin on meat and it will act as abarrier to protect the meat..Remove silverskin before cooking..
Old 08-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Most of the "gamey taste" comes from the fat and blood in the meat, proper post kill prep will remove the majority of it. Remove ALL fat, tendons, and membranes, and drain off as much of the blood as you can. When I prepare the meat later I usually put it in a bowl and add milk to cover it, then seal the bowl and leave it in the fridge overnight. This draws out most of the remaining blood and improves the flavor of the meat. My DIL used to despise venison until we surprised her with some of my wife's "beef" stew one evening, she raved about how good it tasted.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Freezersfull

Like the other fella said..After quartering your deer wash it off to get rid of the blood especially the shoulders. Lay inside refrigerator..I have a fridge that i only use for game meat..Let it stay for 5 days and then have it butchered or do it yourself..Leave silverskin on meat and it will act as abarrier to protect the meat..Remove silverskin before cooking..
Bingo... Get rid of the silverskin before you even think of cooking venison.

I also soak venison in salt water (kitchen sink & a few spoonfulls of table salt), and it really helps draw out the blood. Drain, rinse, soak, {repeat as necessary}. Then finally, I sprinkle the meat with seasoned salt and a sprinkle or two of lemon-pepper. Then wrap it up in saran wrap and let it chill/age/"get happy" - a la Emeril.

Butch A.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: gamy tasting meat

Just one other thing to mention when you cook the meat do not over cook it med to med rare is the best i like my internal temp between 130 -135 anything above med will enhance the gamy flavor ( this theory is not true for some methods like a slow cooker , stews or any wet cooking which is cooked slower , longer and to an higher internal temp ) Some people just don't like the idea of eating a deer I cooked for a few of my friends who at the time I did no know that they didn't eat venison after they raved about how good the meal was and mentioning that they never tasted meat that was as tender I mentioned what it was and you could see the disgust in some of their faces

Quick Reply: gamey tasting meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.