Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Cooking Rabbit?

Old 08-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cooking Rabbit?

I know its old I just could not pass it by
Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 AM

Just to take this one step further, first off I would say that you do not eat rabbit until it is aged. By that I mean that it has had a chance to cool and then be skinned and refrigerated. Then you soak it in salt water to get the blood out.

Then you put it into a roaster with some water and a onion or two and some poultry seasoning and maybe even a couple of bullion cubes and cook it for a hour at 375 - 400* depending on elevation and your oven.

Meat is never it's best if cooked as soon as harvested.

Besides that, you never cook on a fire that has green wood.

Green wood gives off harmful noxious fumes. I know first hand because I worked for a place that burned green wood and I had smoke inhalation and I almost died from it. Plus sticking green wood through the innards of a rabbit would transfer the sap from the wood into the meat.

I know we all seen a million John Wayne movies when we were kids and that is how they cooked a rabbit, but come on now - that is the movies and not a real situation. Even Johnny Apple seed carried a pot on his head for cooking!

My grandmother was a prissy old bitty thattold my grandfather that she wouldn't cook rabbit no more because they smelled! So my mother had to cook them and then invite my grandfather up for supper so he could get a taste once in a while. But that is the only situation that I could think of where a person would have to cook a rabbit for himself or herself.

Where I live, they allow you to shoot 4 rabbits a day! You wouldn't ever get more than one if you stopped to cook it. Plus if you were hunting in a party of hunters - I don't think that they would like it if you stopped hunting every time you shot a rabbit!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:50 AM

The RifleMan- Im not going to wait until the Rabbit is aged, im out in the middle of the damn woods miles away from my houseand I have matches and flint to make a fire, and im hungry and hunger makes me do things that aren't normal, so I plan on cooking it right then and there. And with the green wood sticks, what do you suppose I use, dry wood? Obviously not, the wood would set fire to quickly and burn down along with my Rabbit. If Im not carrying any other tools except things to make fire with, hunt with, and a knife, how do you suppose I cook the Rabbit deep in the Forest. Green wood is my only good option so therfore I will probally continue using it to cook with. Im sure where you worked you inhaled large quantities of green wood fumes almost everyday, so thats probally why you get so sick and you almost died. If you expect me to use one of my Carbon Arrow to cook with............. And I don't want to bring a metal cooking stick or pot or anything into the woods, I travel light as possible.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:55 AM

I thankyou for the advice but im not stupid and if I knew that green wood was harmful, which I did, then I wouldn't be cooking with it. I will be fine im in an open area where the smoke can be carried by the wind and I have the option of moving away to a distance where smoke isn't clouding my face so I can get sick. And im using one or two Green wood sticks, which is probally very small compared to what your work used and burned. I will be fine.