Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Hard-boiled eggs?

Old 05-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hard-boiled eggs?

We like hard-boiled eggs but can't remember how to make 'em so that the shells don't stick to the inside to where you wind up tearing the darn thing apart when you peel it.

I'm sure somebody knows and is willing to share the secret
Old 05-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hard-boiled eggs?

I have always place the boiled eggs in cold water and let them sit for a little while to cool them off before peeling them and it has done the trick for me. I might have had a few stick, but not many...
Old 05-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

as soon as their done cooking drain the water off and place the whole pot in the sink and run cold water in the pot untill all the eggs are cold. Membrane should peel off with the shell.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

using older eggs is better than using fresher.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:55 PM

When done cooking them, drain, put back in pan, put lid on then gently shake, Do not blend, rinse with hot water. Some of them will fall out of the shells.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jerseyhunter

using older eggs is better than using fresher.

Yep freshness is not your friend when hard boiling eggs. It doesent matter how long you cookem or how you cool them.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Not over cooking them helps, and most people over cook them.
I start with the eggs covered with cool water, bring it to a rolling boil for 2 minutes and then remove from the heat for 20 minutes with the pot covered throughout the process. Then I put the pan into the sink and pour cold water from the faucet into them until they are cool enough to handle easily, followed by a soak in ice water for 1 hour. The shells normally slip right off with only gentle cracking. If you make them the day before you can just cool them enough to place into the fridge overnight, the shells should come off easily the next day. The eggs will have beautiful golden yellow yolks without the greyish cast and strong taste that overcooked eggs have, and a more pleasing texture well suited to deviling or egg salad.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a body builder I have ate so many boiled eggs it would make most people sick. Here is a great way just add some salt to the water when boiling they will peel right off.I dont like to get my eggs cold.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

If you purk coffee, Put the center in the pot, put two whole eggs or threein the bottom, add water, then put the coffee basket and coffee in. Put on top and make coffee as usual. When purked, take out basket and scoop out eggs. Eat then or take with you in your pocket. They act as a hand or pocket warmer for about 30 min. Then eat.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Do a hard 5 minute boil and then cool them off with cold water and let em set till cooled...

Quick Reply: Hard-boiled eggs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.