HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   deer sausage? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/188997-deer-sausage.html)

mrfishy34 04-20-2007 06:10 AM

deer sausage?

Just wondering if anyone has used deer sausage links in a recipe. such as stew, ect... thanks.

mudhead1s wife 04-20-2007 07:18 AM

RE: deer sausage?

I'm not a fan of deer sausage unless it's cooked over a wood fire, but you could put it in a breakfast burrito. Just cook your eggs and fixin's the way you like them. If you have the time and coordination fry up some hashbrowns. Put it all on a sortshell (sausages cut) drizzle your favorite syrup on it and enjoy.

mudhead1s wife 04-20-2007 07:27 AM

sorry that's softshell, and I'm sure you know but just in case. The sausages need to be cooked before you throw them in the pan with the eggs. Figured I better specify in case there are any new beginners out there.

Big Guy01 04-20-2007 07:52 PM

Here's my favorite .

Sausage and Rice
6 links venison garlic sausage
1 onion cut in strings (semi circle)
1 can whole tomatoes 28 oz. drained
1 can tomato sauce 28 oz.
1 can tomato paste 6 1/2 oz.
1 tsp. crushed chili
1 green pepper chopped
2 bay leaves
Brown one side of sausage in heavy fry pan with lid. Add onions and brown other side of sausages. Add tomatoes, green pepper, bay leaf, sauce, paste and crushed chili. Simmer for 20 minutes with lid on.Cut sausages into coins, Remove lid and cook on high until desired thickness. Usually about 15-20 minutes. Serve over cooked white rice.
Variation: use Italian sausage and do not add crushed chili.

mrfishy34 04-28-2007 11:32 AM

sounds good. ill give it a try

Big Guy01 04-29-2007 06:07 PM

Here is another good one

Venison Sausage Breakfast Pie

1/2 pound venison sausage
1/2 pound breakfast sausage (spicy is good)
1 tbsp. Butter
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
2 9-inch pie shells, baked
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a large frying pan and sauté the mushrooms and onions for about 5 minutes. Drain and put aside. Brown the sausage mixture and set aside. Mix the sausage, mushrooms, onions, cheese, beaten eggs, cream, and salt and pepper. Spread evenly into the pie shells and bake for about 30 minutes. Place foil around the edge of the pie shells if they become too brown. A great recipe to eat one just out of the oven, and cool one to wrap in foil and put in the freezer for a later date.

jerseyhunter 04-30-2007 04:27 PM

I make venison polish sausage(kielbasy) and I'll cut it in chunks and add it to beans and rice.

mrfishy34 05-01-2007 08:36 PM

sounds good. ill give them a try too.

Big Guy01 05-01-2007 09:30 PM

One more

Cajun Sausages
1 lb. Sausage
2 Tbs. Butter
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 28 oz. Can tomatoes
1 green pepper chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. Chopped parsley
1 tsp. Brown sugar
½ tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
A pinch of Thyme
¼ cup chili sauce
1 cup mushrooms sliced

Parboil sausage 10 minutes , cool enough to handle and slice into coins .Sauté onions ,garlic and mushrooms until onions are translucent. Add all ingredients and cook until thickened , about 30 minutes . Serve over noodles or pasta

mrfishy34 05-05-2007 06:48 PM

i made the sausage and rice one. did it alittle different. didnt have enough tommato sauce so just used some ragu sauce and didnt add any paste. and i jus ended up adding rice to the mixture. it turned into a hot dish and i put some cheese on top. turned out good:)