Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deer Heart and Liver

Old 01-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer Heart and Liver

Damn smokpole, thats how Im gonna cook my does heart. Ill just sub in a Coke for that beer, on account of Im underage and all

&quot;A Country Boy Can Survive&quot; </IMG>
Old 01-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Heres how I enjoy the heart.Rinse and soak in frige over night in salt water and a bit of vinager.Then clean all fat and artaries with a sharp knife.Cut into small cubes and place in a hot pan with melted butter and a bit of olive oil.Season with salt,pepper,galic powder,a small amount of tyme(you can also add some fresh sliced onions)Cook over medium high heat.Finish by adding a 1/4 cup of sherry at the end of cooking,let simmer a minute or two and its done.Serve alone or over rice.Enjoy
Old 01-27-2003, 04:09 PM

try to cook the heart like a stuffed pepper. make sure to oak salt water for at least 12 hrs. then cutthe heart like you would a large bell pepper ( this will take a little work but worth it.) ounce you have remove the inner works of the heart. place it in a frying pan with a small amount on olive oil and sauted' garlic on high flame. brown the outside, and then set off to the side for awhile to cool. cook rice so that it is fluffy and soft, in frying pan mix 3tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic ( minced ) diced onions and peppers, a dash of tarrigon and cook on high until th onoins and peppers are cooked. mix with rice. then put mixture in heart. place standing up in dish, it is easy to do this if you poke tooth picks in the side lick kickstands.add about 1 and 1/2 cups of water to pan. place in a cold oven and turn it on to 350. cook for approx 20-30 minutes. once out of the oven sprinkle grated mozz. cheese on top. let me know how you like it if you try it!
Old 01-27-2003, 07:35 PM

We eat the the liver and the heart the same day we kill are deer.We start a fire and wait for a good bed of coals, wrap the liver and the heart in tin foil,roll it in the hot coals until they'r lightly charred on the out side.This is the only time I ever eat liver.