Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Fox, bobcat, groundhog

Old 02-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Spike

Default Fox, bobcat, groundhog

Has anybody ever eaten a bobcat or a fox or groundhog? If you did how was it and how did you fix them?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:07 PM

Default RE: Fox, bobcat, groundhog

...dude you dont them
Old 02-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Spike

and why not???
Old 02-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't tell you about fox or bobcat, but I sure can tell you about groundhog. Gooood eating! A little messy to clean sometimes, as they tend to have a clear viscous member between the hide and the meat. Just clean it off with some cold water and a clean rag. Cut it up like you do a rabbit. I boil the chunked up pieces until fork tender, remove from water and let cool. Then I coat them with flour and slow fry in a skillet with butter. You can also crock pot it if you wish with onions and potatoes, or don't coat with flour and do on the grill with your favorite BBQ sauce.
Way too many people turn up their nose at this good-tasting treat.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend brought some chilli made with ground hog one year down to deer camp. Said it was made with "ground chuck" Well a few of us had the screaming mimi's for a few days........
Old 02-05-2007, 09:39 PM
DM

I've ate a lot of ground hog and it's fine. Why wouldn't it be??? Theyeat the exact sameplants a rabbit does! Cook it like rabbit, and it's fine...

If you got the hershey squirts from ground hog, you better not eat rabbit either!

DM
Old 02-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Host of Hosts

You can get cat at the local Chinese Resturant There's no way that some of that stuff is chicken or pork
Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

A friend brought some chilli made with ground hog one year down to deer camp. Said it was made with "ground chuck" Well a few of us had the screaming mimi's for a few days........
Then the meat was spoiled. Have eaten groundhog (woodchuck) all my life. It's great eatin'. A lot like squirrel but a lot bigger. They eat nothing but grass and other vegie stuff just like a rabbit.

Can't wait 'til they come out of hibernation.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard eatin other carniveres is not a good idea, taste is very gamy and can be disease ridden?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Somehow I've never been crazy about the idea of eating carnivorous mammals such as cats and caninesalthough I've eaten my share of omnivores such as coons, bears, and hogs....

Also, many of the fish we eat are strict carnivores, as well as turtles, frogs, etc...

I have eaten groudhogs, or woodchucks as we call 'em around here, and I agree with the other posters...They are very good, comparable to squirrel.. As with many critters, the one youngs tend to be milder and more tender, while the older ones are stronger flavored and require longer, moist cooking methods to be tender...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.