HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Fox, bobcat, groundhog (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/178639-fox-bobcat-groundhog.html)

12GaugeGuy 02-02-2007 03:26 PM

Fox, bobcat, groundhog

Has anybody ever eaten a bobcat or a fox or groundhog? If you did how was it and how did you fix them?

terbzz 02-02-2007 08:07 PM

RE: Fox, bobcat, groundhog

...dude you dont them

12GaugeGuy 02-04-2007 11:22 AM

and why not???

Pawildman 02-04-2007 12:08 PM

I can't tell you about fox or bobcat, but I sure can tell you about groundhog. Gooood eating! A little messy to clean sometimes, as they tend to have a clear viscous member between the hide and the meat. Just clean it off with some cold water and a clean rag. Cut it up like you do a rabbit. I boil the chunked up pieces until fork tender, remove from water and let cool. Then I coat them with flour and slow fry in a skillet with butter. You can also crock pot it if you wish with onions and potatoes, or don't coat with flour and do on the grill with your favorite BBQ sauce.
Way too many people turn up their nose at this good-tasting treat.

sjsfire 02-04-2007 03:53 PM

A friend brought some chilli made with ground hog one year down to deer camp. Said it was made with "ground chuck" Well a few of us had the screaming mimi's for a few days........

DM 02-05-2007 08:39 PM

I've ate a lot of ground hog and it's fine. Why wouldn't it be??? Theyeat the exact sameplants a rabbit does! Cook it like rabbit, and it's fine...

If you got the hershey squirts from ground hog, you better not eat rabbit either!

DM

PABuck_HNTR 02-13-2007 04:57 PM

You can get cat at the local Chinese Resturant :DThere's no way that some of that stuff is chicken or pork

cr422 03-06-2007 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

A friend brought some chilli made with ground hog one year down to deer camp. Said it was made with "ground chuck" Well a few of us had the screaming mimi's for a few days........
Then the meat was spoiled. Have eaten groundhog (woodchuck) all my life. It's great eatin'. A lot like squirrel but a lot bigger. They eat nothing but grass and other vegie stuff just like a rabbit.

Can't wait 'til they come out of hibernation.

Dr Andy 03-06-2007 08:56 PM

I've heard eatin other carniveres is not a good idea, taste is very gamy and can be disease ridden?

Pygmy 03-07-2007 11:09 AM

Somehow I've never been crazy about the idea of eating carnivorous mammals such as cats and caninesalthough I've eaten my share of omnivores such as coons, bears, and hogs....

Also, many of the fish we eat are strict carnivores, as well as turtles, frogs, etc...

I have eaten groudhogs, or woodchucks as we call 'em around here, and I agree with the other posters...They are very good, comparable to squirrel.. As with many critters, the one youngs tend to be milder and more tender, while the older ones are stronger flavored and require longer, moist cooking methods to be tender...