HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   a simple stew? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/177668-simple-stew.html)

tschaef 01-28-2007 12:51 PM

a simple stew?

I just cubed a bunch of lean caribou. Potatoes, carrots,and onionsare pealed, slow cooker is clean.
So I come to the computer to find the recipe that I was sure was waiting for me, and its not here!
Heres the deal, I'm gonna go up and flour/brown the meat, when I get back there had better be directions on what to do next, or you're all in big trouble [:@]:):D

Big Guy01 01-28-2007 01:13 PM

RE: a simple stew?

Here's a few.:D

Red Whiskey Stew

1-1/2 lbs. venison brisket meat, cut into cubes
6 Tbs. flour
1 salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
1 large can of beef broth
2 tsp. brown sugar
3 ounces bourbon whiskey
1 pkg. frozen mix veggie’s (3 cups of fresh)
1 large can of cut green beans
Blend together flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder, then dredge the venison with mixture. In a skillet containing cooking oil, brown the venison chunks and onion simultaneously. Transfer the meat and onion to your stew pot; add beef broth and enough water to cover meat. Just barely bring to a boil, then quickly reduce the heat and simmer 1-hour Add veggies. And cook 1 hour longer
Enjoy with a nice homebaked loaf of bread and a salad

Wild Game Goulash
2 Lb. Wild game cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup flour
1 Tbs. Seasoned salt
1 tsp. Onion salt
½ tsp. Garlic powder
1 tsp. Black pepper
1 can mushroom soup

Mix all dry ingredients and coat meat . Sauté meat until tender . Add undiluted mushroom soup and cook for 15 minutes longer . Serve over rice or noodles.

Venison Fruit Stew
2 lbs. Venison, cubed into 1” pieces
2 Tbs. Peanut oil
3 cups sweet potatoes
16 oz. Can tomatoes
1 cup diced onion
½ cup diced green pepper
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ cup water
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt
2 ears frozen corn on the cob
2 medium zucchinis, sliced
16 oz. Can peach slices drained
Remove all fat, gristle and membrane from the venison. Cut sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes, cut thawed corn into two inch pieces. Tomatoes should be cut into pieces but not drained. In a heavy frying pan heat oil and sear the venison. Drain, mix all ingredients except corn, zucchini, and peaches in a casserole dish. Cover and bake at 350 for 75 minutes. Stir in corn and zucchini and bake for another 45 minutes. Add peach slices and serve.

BBQ Mex Stew
2 lbs. Lean venison cubes
1 cup BBQ sauce bullseye original is best
1 cup salsa
1 pkt taco seasoning
2 cups frozen corn nibblets
1 can 15-oz. Chick peas
1 can 15-oz. Black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup fresh cilantro (optional)
Combine all except the beans and cilantro and cook in a slow cooker for 8-10 hrs. Stir in cilantro and beans , let stand for 10 minutes.

Mexican Venison Stew

3 lbs. Venison, cut into 1" cubes
1/4 pound Chirozo sausages, diced small
2 cans red beans
1 large can tomatoes
3 medium onions, diced 1"
3 large carrots, diced 1"
3 stalks celery, diced 1"
1 tbsp. garlic
1 pkg. sliced mushrooms
2 tbsp. chili powder
1/4 cup flour, all purpose
2 cups red wine
2 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon salt
One half tsp. pepper
One half tsp. ground thyme
jalapeno pepper sauce to taste
2 large green pappers, seeded and diced
Brown venison and sausage in a large pot, add all vegetable and sauté for 5 more minutes. Then add the flour and cook for 3 minutes. Finish with the red wine, broth and seasonings. Let simmer 1 hour and serve with hot French bread. IMPORTANT - you must stir constantly so the stew does not stick to the bottom of the pot and burn. Serves 10

Italian Venison Stew

Marinte venison in yogurt or buttermilk. Then wash thoroughly

2 lbs. stew meat
12 small carrots
1 cup chopped celery
2 tbsp. olive oil or bacon fat
1 diced medium onion
1 tsp. Garlic powder
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1 cup red wine
tsp. Garlic powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. oregano thyme leaves
One quarter tsp. nutmeg

Brown the cubed meat in the oil, add two cups of water, then the rest of the ingredients. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaves, add carrots and potatoes, cook another 30-45 minutes or until tender. As a footnote, I've just browned the meat, then dumped everything in the "crockpot" on low. It produces a stew that tastes as tho' it already been reheated several times.

Irish Venison Stew

Cut venison into chunks and marinate venison in buttermilk to clean taste and tenderize the meat.

2 pounds of a choice meat, (Venison, Buffalo , Elk, Beef, Antleope, Lamb)
1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1-1/2 cups dry red wine
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups celery, cut into 1-inch diagonals
6 to 8 peeled small boiling onions
1-2 cups beef stock
salt and pepper)
Wash buttemilk off the venison. Mix the meat, juniper berries, peppercorns and garlic. Add 1 cup of the red wine. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours, or overnight.
Drain off the marinade and save. Heat the olive oil in your pot and brown the venison. Add the celery and onions. Add all the red wine and 3/4 cup beef stock. Cover and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 45 minutes, or until tender, adding the remaining beef stock during baking if necessary.
Remove from the oven. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

tschaef 01-28-2007 01:20 PM

You the man BG01
I'm gonna try the Italian Venison Stew, it looks the easiest and I'm ready to go for that one.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks

jerseyhunter 01-29-2007 11:08 AM

To any stew esp. the Irish one, you can add a lamb bone or bones that you saved by buying a leg of lamb and buterflying yourself, It will flavor the venison for those who want to expose someone to venison without letting on.:D I have made Scotch broth with the neck bones and meat of a deer and a lamb bone. The neckmeat fell off the bone and was superb. I just hope I still can find the recipei.:(