Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

deer roast

Old 01-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: deer roast

Very easy and wonderful.....I tricked my mom with this one and that is NOT easy!! She used to hate deer meat ie: venison. LOL LOL

Sear your roast cut until browned to seal in the juices in olive oil. Then mix a can of cream of mushroom soup, a packet of Lipton Onion/Mushroom (dry) soup, mix with an equal amount of water to cover.. salt, pepper, 1 sm. clove garlic. Cook til almost fork tender. Then put in onions, potatoes, carrots and whatever veges you might like.....cook til meat falls apart and it makes is own gravy. Oh.....one thing is you have to have some homemade yeast rolls to boot...
gotta have something to sop that gravey up with !!!! Let me know if you enjoy!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my recipe, make several incisions in your roast to insert fresh sliced garlic, wrap the roast with bacon and place in the crock pot. use 2 or 3 cups of beef broth, 1 cup of Beujalais wine ( hope I spelled that right ), coarse chop 2 or 3 onions and whatever vegies you prefer, I use potatoes, carrots and peas and add them into the pot. Season with salt, pepper and basil. Cook on high for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Remove from crock pot and place on baking pan uncovered and put that into an oven preheated to 350' for about 30 min or so to give the bacon a nice crust. remove vegies from crock and keep some aside to puree. Take 1 cup of the liquid and the pureed vegies and put into a frying pan over a high flame to reduce to a gravy like consistancy. Take roast out of oven and allow to rest for about 10 minutes before slicing. Cover sliced venison with the vegie gravy and serve with the vegies and the rest of the bottle of wine.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hunterbrum

I use a slow cooker with Coke, ketchup and onion soup mix.
Use 8 tablespoons of ketchup per 12 oz. of Coke and 1
package of onoin soup mix. Put enough liquid to just cover
the meat. Cook on low for several hours.(Untill cooked like you
like it). Meat should be falling apart at this point. At this point
I turn the heat to high to cook down some of the liquid and
thicken the gravy.

I know it sounds strange but the taste is outstanding.
I think you will be suprised. I know I was.
I tried this the other night and boy let me tell you that right there is some good eating. I put some taters and carrots in with the meat and it was all good.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Spike

Along those same lines - I use a crock pot and just put the roast in with a full bottle of BBQ sauce. Fill the BBQ Sauce bottle half way with water, shake it to get all the sauce out, and pour that in too. After about 8 hours, the meatis falling apart, and very moist. It is very similar to "pulled pork". Serve it over taosted buns with a little cheddar cheese on top. Even my wife will eat it!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yummmm - Try that on a Weber charcoal Grille(or any dome grille).
Place coals around edge,small alum pan in center with 1/2 water and apple juice or pineapple juice or whatever you like.Soak apple,maple chips overnight.Place roast on roasting rack.After about 1 hr start throwing the smoke chips in at 1/2 hr increments.Man - that is some great meat
Old 02-27-2007, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunterbrum

I use a slow cooker with Coke, ketchup and onion soup mix.
Use 8 tablespoons of ketchup per 12 oz. of Coke and 1
package of onion soup mix. Put enough liquid to just cover
the meat. Cook on low for several hours.(Until cooked like you
like it). Meat should be falling apart at this point. At this point
I turn the heat to high to cook down some of the liquid and
thicken the gravy.

I know it sounds strange but the taste is outstanding.
I think you will be surprised. I know I was.
I have been using a similar receipt for years we call it Pepsi pot roast
and I use a can of cream of mushroom soup instead of ketchup.
I might try yours it sounds different.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

marinate deer meat in itallian dressing and worschester sauce..... grill it or fry it..... and another way to cook it is..... melt sum butter in a skillet and add garlic pepper... and fry deer meat.... mmmm good
Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

I tried 12 ounces of Pepsi, 8 tablespoons of ketchup, and the packet of Lipton onion soup mix in the crock pot. I used a tenderloin instead of a roast (I only cooked it for 3 hours or so on high). Very good! 2 of my friends at worked liked it as well. Thanks.

Mike
Old 03-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used a tenderloin instead of a roast (

The crock pot is for less tender cuts of meat,To me that'sa waste of some good grillin Venison. But I can't knock you . To each their own. I'm thinking that the rest of you deer youturned in to chopped meat, or stew.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 AM

i use a slow cooker with the following

1 package onion soup mix
2mugs of black coffee
at about the half way point i add a can of cream of mushroom
onion and garlic is also good with this
salt and pepper

let it cook all day in slow cooker.....meat is super tender and fall of the bone

Quick Reply: deer roast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.