Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 what do you do with your backstrap? >

what do you do with your backstrap?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

what do you do with your backstrap?

Old 01-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what do you do with your backstrap?

As close to expensive beef tenderloin as we can afford.
Better
Old 01-21-2007, 08:05 PM

Lots of good stuff but when all is said and done, salt, pepper, and a little olive oil on the grill is the ultimate experience. Everything else is just variety. I have a wood stove and a sive like affair that is used to set the backstrap on. The whole thing goes in and the door is almost completely closed. A short flipover and my lunch is ready! The coals are just right by the time I come home or lunch.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll either cut mine into thick streaks or cut the backstrap into quarters.

Typiclly, I fry the steaks in a blazing hot pan with butter, salt, garlic powder and pepper for about 5 minutes on one side, flip it and let it go for about 2-3 minutes then turn the heat to medium and wait a couple of more minutes before plating it. Then, I let it rest for a couple of minutes so it has a chance to reabsorb the juices.

If I'm doing a backstrap qurater, I'll put it in a hot pan with butter to sear the outside, then finish it in the oven. Again, salt pepper and garlic powder.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

All you guys cutting them up are killin me!!!Aaaahhh the inhumanity!!!

Leave the puppy whole, trim it very well of all silverskin and fat. You can but do not have to, put it in a ziplock overnight with a favorite marinade or just some italian dressing. Remove from that and then I sprinkle a little/ or lot ofcajun seasoning (or a milder dry rub/spice if you do not want a little kick)all over it and put er on the grill. Cook over medium heat, you want a nice pink (orif you are like me a red)center. Sooo goood. All that cutting before you cook just dries it out and toughens it up and makes it harder to cook to perfection. Believe me try it whole and cut it up after it rests, you will not be disapointed!!
Old 01-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like my backstraps marinaded in McCormicks grill mates Montreal steak marinade. its in a dry pack and you can get them at super walmart. mix marinade with 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup vegatable oil, 2 tbsp. red whine vinegar or white vinegar, i use the white. put in a gallon ziplock bag with the backstraps, and let marinate in fridge overnight occasionally turning. grill to liking but dont over cook, it will dry them out. my kids love em.
Dan
Old 01-28-2007, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

All you guys cutting them up are killin me!!!Aaaahhh the inhumanity!!!
I cut them into about 12 oz pieces, just enough for one meal andgrill them that way. Much better than little pieces.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:20 AM

Venison loins, cut into 1/2 medallions.
6" subroll
sliced pepperjack cheese
Heinz 57 steak sauce

Sprinkle medallions w/cajun seasoning, season salt,Mrs. Dash original seasoning. Let sit for a few hoursin arefrigerator. Spread softened butter on the inside of 6" sub rolls,& sprinkle w/garlic powder, set aside. Lightly coat Medallions w/Pam spray. Grill just a few minutes unitl Med-rare to Med (at the most). U can add smoke chips to grill for added flavor. When done, set the meat aside on a plate, covered.Next, grill the subrolls until golden brown. Place sliced pepper jack cheese on the bread, then lay out medallions & drizzle steak sauce on it.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Did he just say put steak sauce on it!!!!

Might as well get up and go into the kitchen and smack the chef!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:06 AM

usually i cut it into butterfly steaks and fry it up. somwtimes i just grind it up and make burger meat out of it. i am sure you could use backstrap for any pork loin recipe you have.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Here's a couple I like:

1. Bacon wrapped medallions

Slice back strap in 1 1/4" slabs or so, wrap in thick bacon (held on with toothpick), sprinkle montreal steak seasoning and garlic on top. Toss on the grill.

2. Weinerschnitzel

This is a receipe given to me by a Hungarian buddy, his grandmother taught him. (also good with duck, goose, sage hen, and various other deer/elk parts, etc.)

Cut backstrap as mentioned in above receipe, hammer out with course mallet, hammer again with light mallet (until meat is lace like in thinness, but not falling apart). Flour, egg, bread. Add seasonings to bread crumbs if desired. Fry in 1" olive oil or fryer until golden brown.

Sauce: use a 1 quart serving dish, 1 cup olive oil, 1 cup water, 3 fresh squeezed lemons, 4 tblspns minced garlic (fresh is best). Sprinkle some season salt in, add a dash of hot sauce, several dashes of oregano. Mix thouroughly, and spoon liberally onto schnitzels. Goes well with rice, steamed veggies and red wine.

Quick Reply: what do you do with your backstrap?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.