HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Goose Breast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/159439-goose-breast.html)

sandilands 10-12-2006 08:18 PM

Goose Breast

Either than jerky how do you all cook your geese? Everytime I cook it it ends up tough. Thats Canada geese and usually greaters, I shot my first blue goose today(in the bush, I mean 100sqkm of bush and it was standing next to a clearcut on a logging trail[&:]) and was told they cook nice so my question is for CDN geese.... just breasts. My roasting birds are great.

rbduck 10-12-2006 08:39 PM

RE: Goose Breast

Low and slow is the trick. Fourteen hours in a slowcooker is good, just add a few veg, a cup of liquid, and cubed breast meat, spices,thicken with a rue and serve with rice or noodles. Guaranteed to come out tender.
Dice the meat and make a soup.
Cut meat real thin, thread on bamboo skewers and BBQ.
Try smoking them also.
Sometimes I grind up the meat and make goose burgers for something different too.
Just a few ideas.

:DRon

Big Guy01 10-13-2006 04:53 AM

Here is a few recipes.

Goose Burgers

5 lbs. boneless goose meat.
1 cup finely crushed cracker crumbs
1 onion, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbs. parsley

Chill meat until almost frozen, grind through a fine plate. In a large bowl combine all ingredients, mix well. Make into patties and fry in enough oil to prevent sticking. Serve in hamburger rolls with your favorite condiments.

Goose Breast with Orange Marmalade

1 large goose breast
1 package brown gravy mix
¼ cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. orange marmalade
1 can frozen orange juice concentrate
preheat oven to 375. Combine all ingredients except meat. Pour into a casserole dish. Place meat in pan and turn to coat all sides. Cover with foil and bake 1 ½ to 2 hours. Remove meat and slice onto a bed of cooked rice. Top with pan juices.

Goose Pot Stickers

2 lbs. Goose breasts
1 lb. Boneless leg meat
1 ½ cups cabbage
2 Tbs. ginger root
2 Tbs. green onion
2 Tbs. fresh cilantro
2 Tbs. Sesame oil
1 Tbs. Chili oil
1 Tbs. garlic, chopped
1 Tbs. salt
1 tsp. white pepper
Wonton wrappers.
Oil for frying
Sauce
1 ¼ cup water
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup Mirin or sweet Sake
½ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 Tbs. chopped Garlic
1 Tbs. Fresh grated ginger
Cornstarch and water slurry
Combine all ingredients except cornstarch slurry, heat to boiling, and simmer 15 minutes. Add cornstarch slurry and cook until thickened.

Chop all ingredients in a food processor except for cooking oil and Wonton wrappers. Place a tsp. of the mixture in the center of a wrapper, fold and seal. Repeat until all meat mixture is used up. Steam wrapped packets for 5 minutes then fry in hot oil until browned.

Amazing Goose recipe

2 to 4 Goose breasts
Cut up the meat into small pieces and leave in marinade for 24 hours
Marinade
1 cup wine vinegar
1 tsp. Black pepper
1 tsp. dry mustard
2 Bay leaves
1 large onion chopped coarse
1 cut up carrot
2 celery leafs
and add red wine to cove meat about 1 cup
Take meat from marinade and dry up with paper towel. DO NOT THROW OUT MARINADE! Then put in pan with hot oil to brown up (a little at a time) Take meat out. You may only want to do half the meat then the other half right after. Chop up 2 med. onions and 1 leek and sauté till glossy and then return all meat to the pan.
Strain the marinade and add it to the meat. Add some water and red wine so the meat is covered. Sauté on low heat stirring occasionally for 3 hours.
At the end add some salt, pepper and vegeta (can be found in most grocery stores in spice aisle) and 1 tablespoon of tomato paste. Serve over Gnocci or noodles.

Stir Fry Goose Breast

2 Goose breasts
3 Green onions, chopped
4 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
8 oz. Water chestnuts, sliced
8 oz. Broccoli florets
1 cup snow peas
1 cup celery, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
2 Tbs. sesame oil
1 Tbs. Soy sauce
1 Tbs. Sherry
1 Tbs. Corn starch
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 Tbs. fresh ginger, sliced
Cut goose into thin strips. Add 1 Tbs. oil to a hot wok. Fry meat for about 5 minutes, remove and reserve. Add the rest of the oil to the pan and stir fry the veggies for 5 minutes. Add meat to veggies. Mix sherry, soy sauce and cornstarch. Add this mix to pan cook and stir until thickened.

And one of my favorites

BBQ Goose Breasts

Goose breasts , cubed
bacon
Italian salad dressing.
BBQ sauce

Marinate goose chunks in Italian dressing overnight. Wrap in bacon and secure with tooth picks. Grill on BBQ until med rare Serve with your fav sauce. You can't make them fast enough . All will be gobbled up as soon as thy come off the grill.

trailer 10-13-2006 05:29 AM

I usually slice the breast into thin slices. Brown the meat in a frying pan with 1/2 lb of bacon. Add sliced red, green peppers and sometimes mushrooms. Season with ground rosemary, salt pepper (what ever you fancy) and serve with rice or noodles. I also like this meat with wild rice. Slicing the meat into thin slices eliminate any surprises (steel shot) ouch !!!

JimPic 10-13-2006 08:27 AM

I usually dice it into small pieces,throw in crockpot,put about a handful of brown sugar and a bottle of honey mustard and slow cook til done.then I'll put over rice.

SwampTHING 10-13-2006 08:05 PM

A buddy of mine brines them for like 4-5 days, then smokes them.. tastes just like corned beef. Ill see if he'll give up the recipe.

8mm/06 10-14-2006 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

A buddy of mine brines them for like 4-5 days, then smokes them.. tastes just like corned beef. Ill see if he'll give up the recipe.
Smoked goose breast can be unbelievably tasty!

duckhunter669 10-15-2006 10:56 AM

Cook in a crock pot with italian beef seasoning.

sandilands 10-15-2006 01:48 PM

Thanx for all the recipe's! I would like to know a simple brine..... even just the basics. I love to smoke things, jerky, cold/hot fish, and just abotu anything that can be smoked.

Sniper151 10-15-2006 06:31 PM

Lay the bird breast down in a disposable aluminum panwith 1/2 lb. of bacon across the bird and throw it in the oven at 350 until the bacon is crispy. This keep the bird from drying out and it's outstanding.