Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Need a good pheasant recipe

Old 10-11-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Need a good pheasant recipe

My Dad is going pheasant hunting in a few weeks. This means we will most likely have pheasant for Christmas dinner, which is kind of a family tradition. Normally Dad puts them in a crock pot and we have pheasant and gravy, which is really good. I 'm just thinking it might be fun this year to try a different recipe. Does anyone have any good pheasant recipes?

Thanks,

Gunslingergirl
Old 10-11-2006, 04:34 PM

Default RE: Need a good pheasant recipe

O.k., posted this thread and then saw the thread further down with the same question. Those recipes sound really good. Anyone have any others?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:55 PM

I have cooked pheasant a couple of different ways. I like to do a white chilli, not great for Christmas dinner, or I have also done the beer can cooker on the grille. Rub the bird down with butter, and your favorite seasonings, and low temps. Lastly the other thing we did last year was this. We always deep fry a turkey, yes we used the basket and fried the pheasant, careful though it only takes a minute or two, DONT WALK AWAY!!! A turkey is 3 minutes per pound I think. So the pheasant is only maybe a pound. Good luck.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smoked pheasant.......mmmmmm.....mmmmmm Good!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah stuff them with bread stuffing,rub them down with butter and Cavenders Greek seasoning.Put them in a roaster cook 1-1 1/2 hrs at 350 or till done.
Take one can cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 jar of Garlic alfredo sauce 1/2 can milk,heat on stove top.
Serve pheasnt with sauce over the top with garlic butter angle hair pasta.
Makes a great meal.
BBJ
Old 10-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Baste them in lemon juice, butter, and honey mixture and stuff with wild rice dressing and bake in a roaster in the oven at 325 until done or put them in one of them cooking bags. The rest of the wild rice can be made on the side. Zeak
Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

try soaking your pheasant breast in Italian dressing for about an hour before cooking...MMMMMMMMM
Old 11-01-2006, 12:49 PM

TRY THIS ONE....ITS GREAT!
1 medium pheasant, about 2 pounds, breast removed (skin on) and leg and thigh disjointed
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup dried figs, stems removed
2 cups chambourcin wine
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium shallots, sliced thin
1 cup shiitake mushrooms stemmed and thinly sliced
1/2 cup rich poultry stock
1/2 teaspoon rosemary, finely chopped
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat canola oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Season pheasant with salt and pepper. Brown legs and thighs evenly and place in oven for 20 minutes. Bring figs and wine to a low boil in a heavy saucepan. Reduce and simmer to 1/3 of original volume. Remove pan from oven, removing leg and thigh. Return to burner for 45 seconds. Sear skin side of pheasant breast for 1 minute. Flip and return thigh and leg. Finish in oven for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove pheasant from pan and plate. Add 1/2 of the butter to pan and saute shallots until light brown. Add Shiitakes and cook to tender, about 1 minute. Add figs and wine to pan with stock, rosemary, reduce to thicken. Season and whisk in remaining butter and serve.

I COOK THIS EVERY DEER CAMP AND EVERYONE GOES CRAZY FOR IT.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:13 PM

Oh, these all sound good. Thanks.

I guess I'll have to tell Dad to get a lot of pheasants.

I have to say I'd never imagined deep frying a pheasant. Sounds like it could be an interesting experiment.

Thanks again,

GSG
Old 11-07-2006, 09:41 AM

I will post the particulars tomorrow but I have one that you bake in a mushroom soup sourcream sauce that is really really yummy.

Quick Reply: Need a good pheasant recipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.