Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Meat grinder

Old 10-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Meat grinder

Anybody have good experience with a meat grinder(electric)? I have never used one, just an old hand crank kind. The deer meat kept getting clogged up in it, wasn't fun. Won't do the manual thing again. Looking for one that is only around $150 or so. Are these strong enough? Thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Meat grinder

For 150 your not going to get much in the way of a good grinder. The hand ones are great for small jobs. If the meat is getting clogged that tells me the knife is installed backwards( in happens to everyone) or the knive is dull or the plate is not flat. You can buy replacement knives and plates for about $7-10. that should get the job done. If you need a larger electric grinder I wouldn't consider anything that has a motor less than 1/2 hp.The smaller ones just won't hold up to heavy use.The one I use is 1 hp. but I grind about 100 lbs of meat at a time. If you are serious about meat processing a grinder is not the place to scrimp, buy the best you can afford in the long run you will be glad you did.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Dominant Buck

You might also try freezing your meat before grinding it , thawed meat will clog a grinder pretty easily . If that doesn't fix the problem try what Big Guy suggested . Some of the larger manual grinders have a v-belt attachment for adding an electric motor .
Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, you don’t want to cut corners on an electric meat grinder. I have a small electric one and the nylon gears are starting to go. Wont last to much longer. A trick to grinding meat is to have the meat very cold or nearly frozen. This helps in grinding the meat without clogging the head...
Old 10-07-2006, 01:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the others. Personally I use a 1hp ss grinder, italso has a mixer and minute steak attachment but I do more than mygame each year, so well worth the money invested.

It really depends how much your going to do/use and what you want for finished product. Ihave knownguys who buy the wife a Kitchen Aide for christmas/birthday/suck up &then buy the grinder attachment for themselves. I also know ones with hand cranks and the cheaper electrics.They allseemsatisfied but may only do 20 - 40#'s of ground per year so a little tough to invest a lot for minimal usage.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use a small electric one for myself, and usaully only grind 20 - 30 pounds a year. So not much use for me to invest in a bigger one. If by chance I have alot to grind I would go to the local store here. After they have all their grinding done they will set up a time frame for me to bring it and have it ground up for me. The smaller ones will work OK if you try not to put to much in at once. Good Luck
Old 11-05-2006, 06:58 AM

I bought my grinder at Cabela's. I got a GREAT deal on it at the bargain cave. It is the1hp ss grinder that I got for about $210...Check them out if you have one nearby.

Regards,

BWjohnny
Old 11-11-2006, 05:36 PM

I shoot one or two deer every year. I like the deer meat to make jerky, chili, a few steaks out of. I am going to try some new recipes for stew and possibly roasts.To have a deer processed into these peices in my area cost about $70 a deer. I got tired of spending $70-140 a year to have my deer processed. 2 years ago I killed a big buck on opening day of rifle season. Had to go to a doctors appointment that was 2 1/2 hours away the next day. So we let the deer hang field dressed and skinned. Went to Cabelas after my dr appointment. Found a meat meat grinder on sale for $70. Bought it and haven't looked back. The way I see it, although its only processed one deer. Its already paid for itself. Can't beat a deal like that. Especially if your not processing a ton of deer every year.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:52 AM

I use the Grinder Attachment to my wifes Kitchen- Aid mixer to grind my meat. Has plenty of power. As the big guy said, check your blades, cause 150.00 will not go far in the grinder world.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Spike

I bought one of the hand crank ones this year and after using one time decided it wasn't for me.
While at Lowe's shopping for a deep freezer for all my deer meat, I came across a stainless Waring Pro for a hundred bucks. I've used it twice so far and it has really impressed me... especially after hearing all the negatives on the cheaper grinders. It was a good investment for me, I don't have all day to crank and clean on a hand crank grinder.

Quick Reply: Meat grinder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.