HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   cured venison loin (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/14466-cured-venison-loin.html)

bentstick 10-31-2002 05:14 AM

cured venison loin

Ok i Am going to let you all in on little secret recipe of mine that is absolutely the best

Ingredients:
1 whole deer loin (or whatever your needs are)
Morton Tender quick
water
1 cup of brown sugar
pepper
Garlic
bar b que sauce
Charcoal grill ( no gas grills here )

Ok mix a brine in a large bowl following the directions on the morton tenderquick for making a brine but use half as much tender quick as the recipe calls for. Add 1 cup brown sugar to the mix. place the loin into the brine and place the whole lot into the fridge. now forget about it for four days. on the fourth day remove it. drain off the brine and rinse the loin. refill bowl with water only and return loin to soak for 24 hrs. ( <-----<<< this step is mucho important if it is not done you might as well sit down with a spoon and a bag of salt as this is how the loin will taste.)
Cooking day: prepare charcoal so that the loin can be cooked indirectly ( not over the coals ), at a low temp 325 or so. remove the loin from the fridge season with garlic , pepper , and what ever else you like. ( just dont use any thing with salt ) place on the grill and shut the lid. cooking times will very but cook until it is nearly done. 20-30 mins from what you believe is done coat the whole thing with your favorite bbq and allow it to carmelize. remove and enjoy. I will promise you a treat like know other. its like eating deer candy. Ive served it to people who dont like venison and they couldnt get enough. Try it you wont be let down.

Note: its taken me several cuts of venison to perfect this but make sure You use morton tender quick and not morton sugar cure. The results are disasterous. as a matter of fact I lost a grill to salt contamination / coorosion on my first attempt by using sugar cure improperly.

Edited by - bentstick on 10/31/2002 15:48:32

nny243 10-31-2002 06:42 AM

RE: cured venison loin

OK. Just to verify. You use one whole 2-3ft backstrap?

springgobbler 10-31-2002 01:57 PM

Even after the water soaking...does it still have a very salty flavor???

bentstick 10-31-2002 02:46 PM

nny243

It just depends if i make it for say thanksgiving with my entire extended yes most definatly. for the family dinner 1/4 of one and and for company 1/2 is fine. regardless the brine recipe is still the same just make enough to completly submerge your cut of meat. believe me if you got company it will get ate ive never suceeded in making enough

springgobbler

about like cured pork ham

skeeter 7MM 11-22-2002 10:42 PM

Your receipe sounds very good.

Here's what I do for my backstraps: (I butcher and debone my own meat, but you can easily get a butchter to do this)

I take the backstraps and prepare by removing all the fat, liner and what your left with is pure 100% um. I then cut into 1" thick medallions and package in family portions.

Season the meat to taste with garlic 7 pepper. Then wrap in bacon and lightly season with Montreal Steak Spice....to the BBQ and 10-15 mins a side on medium heat. It is simple but melts in your mouth.

Backstrap and bacon roast.

Again season the meat to liking. Place strips of bacon in the inner portion and roll then wrap bacon around the outside and tie with butcher string, place in a roaster with some red wine and water (equal parts). Roast at 300 and remove the top for the last 30 mins. I usually cook a good sized strap for about 2 hours and then the 30 mins uncovered.

Edited by - skeeter 7mm on 11/22/2002 23:46:29

RippinC5785 11-16-2014 06:39 AM

A little secret

Recipe sounds good. I was gonna fill you in on Morton tender quick and morton sugar cure. Those products are the exact same, no difference. Only difference between those products is the size of the bag and Morton sugar cure has a foil pack inside of spice if you choose to use.