HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Deep fry bluegill? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/144216-deep-fry-bluegill.html)

Dairy King 06-04-2006 01:31 PM

Deep fry bluegill?

Well, I finally got a mess of bluegill. They are gutted and de-headed. Heard that was the best way to eat them. Now, how do I go about frying them? I heard you can score the sides so the frying will crystallize the bones so you don't have to worry about them?

Thanks!

Tree climber 06-04-2006 04:26 PM

RE: Deep fry bluegill?

the only time the bones go away is when they are really little.

don't worry bout scoring the sides,just salt pepper, take some yellow cornmeal and throw them into it shake around a little. take some hog lard, get it hot (350 degrees) drop them in until golden brown turn over and brown that side.take out and you got some good eats.

zak123 06-20-2006 02:15 PM

I contacted Tree Climber last year asking about a recipe for bluegill. I tried his salt, pepper, cornmeal fried bluegill, and all I can say is, "Wow, that's good!".

Knightia 06-21-2006 01:01 AM

A lot of ppl must fellet those lill buggers to(good way to make the bones go away) even tho there so small i see all kinds of thereskins laying around the one place i fishat- whereppl have done just that. A lot of work tho- but nice for those with a bone a phobia.

Just have catch a lot of those 2+ Lb bluegills;)

kevin1 06-21-2006 07:16 AM

If you cook them until the meat flakes with your fork as it should then the bones will slide right out of the meat easily . Timing is the key , and the cooking time varies with the thickness of the meat and the temperature of the oil . Practice makes perfect .

Rebel Hog 07-01-2006 09:37 PM

I like Chucks recipe!:)

RE: Buttemilk battered bluegills. - 7/1/2006 12:02:29 PM

showPicture("7/1/2006 12:02:29 PM",0,0,0,1585053,24)

Chuck7

titleAndStar(8278,0,false,false,"","")
Addicted to HNI

[align=center][/align]

Clean fish good. Soak for a few hours in salt water .
Rince fish .Just before ya go to bed put fish in a bowl.
Pour a pint of buttermilk over the fish and let sit in
the refrigerator over night.

Next day for dinner.
1. Mix in a bowl about 3 cups of flour, salt , pepper , table spoon ofOld Bay.
2. Take fish out of the buttermilk one by one and put in the bowl of flour mixture.
3. Coat them well.
4. Have a black cast iron skillet HOt {But not scorching} with about 1/2 inch of canola oil.
5. Carefully put fish in hot oil. Cook to deep brown. Better over done than under done.
6. Drain on paper towel and enjoy.

Chuck7 09-02-2007 04:26 PM

Thanks Reb.;)