HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Makeing your own dill pickels? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/130155-makeing-your-own-dill-pickels.html)

RustyOlRanger4x4 01-23-2006 08:40 PM

Makeing your own dill pickels?

Ive never made anything like it in my life but I grow cucumbers every year and always have alot of extras so I had an idea tonight. Id like to try to make my own Dill pickles and im curious as to if anyones done it and exactly how you do it? Ive herd of people makeing their own pickles before but I dont know that ive herd of anyone makeing their own dill pickels? Any infos greatly appriciated
Thanks, sean

Who 01-24-2006 03:49 AM

RE: Makeing your own dill pickels?

I dont know about dill pickels but I can get you a very good bread and butter pickel res. if you want.

RustyOlRanger4x4 01-24-2006 10:36 AM

whats a bread and butter pickle? Never herd of it but ill give it a shot. Thanks

Tree climber 01-24-2006 02:32 PM

my wife make our dills each year.I'll try to post the way she does it.
reall not all that hard to do.I help her get things ready.we like to get the really small cucks to make the dills with. much better than the big ones.

jerseyhunter 01-25-2006 02:40 PM

We make mustard pickles in our house.

Who 01-27-2006 03:31 AM

Here you go. Enjoy

Bread and Butter Pickles

25 cucumbers, thinly sliced
6 onions, thinly sliced
2 green bell peppers, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
½ cup salt

3 cups cider vinegar
5 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons mustard seed
1 ½ teaspoons celery seed
½ teaspoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon ground turmeric

1. In a large bowl, mix together cucumbers, onion, green bell peppers, garlic and salt.
Allow to stand approximately 3 hrs.

2. In a large saucepan, mix the cider vinegar, white sugar, mustard seed, celery seed, whole cloves, and turmeric. Bring to a boil.

3. Drain liquid from the cucumber mixture. Stir the mixture into the boiling vinegar mixture. Removefrom heat shortly before the combined mixtures return to boil.

4. Transfer to sterile containers. Seal and chill in the refrigerator until serving.

JeffS 01-27-2006 01:37 PM

My grandmother and mother used to make them all the time. I refuse to eat store bought dills. I'll see if I can get the recipe for you. I know it has dill, mustard seeds, birds eye peppers, vinegar, salt, water. I will try to find out the exact directions on how to make them. I used to help my grandmother for years make them.

Big Guy01 02-10-2006 04:58 PM

Dill Pickles
Wash and dry ( dill size) cucumbers

Prick with a fork all overand soak in cold water over night. Dry in morning pack in sterile jars with dill and garlic

2 cups vinegar
10 cups water
1 cup salt
Boil then pour over pickles and seal jars.

longrifle1000 02-10-2006 08:03 PM

We make lots of bread and butter picles every year. We add jalapeno peppers to them though. Some people call these good & evil's. Very good, sweet and hot.

Tree climber 02-17-2006 05:14 PM

R O R 4x4; sorry it took so long.my wife make great dills. we make about 25 to 30 jars a year.

you need:
small cucumbers the smaller ones (3") are better.about 1/4 bushel
1 gal water
5 cups white vinegar
3/4 cup pickling salt
some hot peppers
fresh dill (can use dill seeds, but fresh is much better)
fresh garlic
alum

wash and drain you cucks and fresh dill
sterialize jars
pack cucks and dill into jars ; add one hot pepper and one clove garlic to each jar.
put packed jars into oven heated to 350 degrees for 10 to 15 min.or untill to hot to handle.
bring water , salt ,and vinegar to a rolling boil.add pinch of alum to each jar.
fill jars with boiling liquid,seal jars , set aside.keepthe liquid boiling while you fill all the jsrs.

this makes 7 or 8 quarts.

let set about a week before you use.