Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Lake Trout...

Old 08-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Lake Trout...

Just got back from a great day of fishing. Caught a nice laker, among others. On my way home, I was trying to think of how I wanted to cook it tomorrow (tonight is already planned with some nice Venison round steaks).

Anybody have a good recipe for lake trout?

Cheers,

Dan
Old 08-18-2005, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lake Trout...

Plain and simple! If the trout is a good size, cut it into 1" thick steaks, salt and pepper, and fry in a cast iron frypan. Or you can do the steaks on the BBQ, just oil the grill first. Keep it simple and you`ll get the full flavour of the trout which is really hard to beat.

Ron
Old 08-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I've never been one for keeping and eating lakers. They've always seemed greasy to me no matter how I cooked them. However my brother was home from Florida a few weeks ago and isisted on keeping a few to eat. He happens to be an executive chef at a very prestigous club to say the least.
He "cured" it in salt for a day before cooking it. He says that draws all the oil out of it. Put the fillets in a ziploc bag full of salt (or sugar i think) and let it soak it up. Then he seasoned it with butter, lemon, salt, and garlic. He put it in the smoker with some apple tree branches and it came out like nothing I've ever had before. It tasted better than the walley I've had. I don't have all the details about how long he cooked it for in the smoker or what he did to it after, but my God I never thought a Laker could taste that good.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

An executive chef could make a skunk taste good. Them guys are well trained.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:40 PM

I can concure with eveyone on this topic. Many diffrent ways to prepare one type of fish.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:52 PM

Try grilling them...just cut off the head and if you want the to, the tail. Gut as usual. with the grill on medium-low heat continue to brush melted butter with lemon and pepper until the fish has stiffened then softened a little. about 3-4 minutes per side then close grill lid and put on verylow heat for a couple-3 minutes. its great.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:24 AM

I TAKE PICTURES AND LET THEM GO. BUT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE I WILL GAFF ONE TO LAND IT AND IT'LL DIE . WHEN THAT HAPPEND I BOIL THE LAKER AND ADD IT TO MY BEAGLES FOOD INCREMENTALLY. MOST COMMERCIAL DOG FOODS ARE TOO LOADED WITH CARBS AND TEND TO BE LACKING IN THE PROTEIN DEPARTMENT AND FISH IS HARD TO BEAT FOR PROTEIN. BUT THE SMOKING METHOD ABOVE ON APPLE LIMBS SOUNDS GOOD. THE OIL IS ALSO GOOD FOR THEIR COAT.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I like to deep fry them but only use the meat from above the lateral line. Cube the meat, roll in seasoning, flower/ cornmeal and have a cold beer with it.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Either bake it or fry it, both ways work. For camp or shanty, the easiest way is to roll the filets in cornmeal (or flour), fry in butter until golden brown, then rinse down with your favorite beverage.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Use in a fish chowder., add some mussels, clams, milk ,onions.cooked bacon, cubed potatoes, stalk of celery and acarrott chopped.Couple pats ofbutter on top before serving.

Quick Reply: Lake Trout...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.