Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

BBQ rub

Old 07-28-2005, 10:38 AM

Default BBQ rub

anyone have a recipe for a sweet BBQ rub, I like using sweet BBq sauces on pork but I'm looking for a good rub. Thanks
Old 07-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BBQ rub

Reb... I've tried all kinds of dry rubs in my 35 years of cooking bar-b-que... I have never found anything as good as Adkins western style barbecue seasoning. I don't know if you can get it where your from, but the Address is
American Spice & Seasoning Inc.
P.O. Box 210398
Dallas, Texas, 75211
I have turned on tons of people to this rub and they love it... Take it from a man that is nick named "Bar-b-que Bob".

For a quick an great tasting sauce.
use equal amounts of catsup and grapegelly.
Chop 1/2 to a whole onion, put on the stove and simmer until bubbling, then add mustard to taste, 1/2 bottle of liquid smoke, and from there you can adust to how sweet our unseet you like it by adding or deleting grape jelly.... to make it even better, when smoking a brisket take the mixture and put it in a pan with metal handles and leave in the smoke 8-10 hours... just delete the liquid smoke..
If you cannot get any of this season from Adkins, email me, I will mail you some, it is great!
Old 07-31-2005, 10:30 AM

Thanks Rev. Ill give it a try and will mail AS&S for some seasonings, appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:34 AM

I don't have it handy, but Alton Brown (Food Network) published a generic base for a rub that you adjust to suit yourself. It should be on the Food Network Site. I remember it uses a base of about one third brown sugar which you should like; especially with pork.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

MCCormicks has a couple dryrubs that I know of steak & pork. It's actuallygood. But if you want it sweeter just add brown sugar. Safeway and Winco in my area sell it.