Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrows and Accuracy >

Arrows and Accuracy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrows and Accuracy

Old 05-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrows and Accuracy

ORIGINAL: bones

If you have different manufactured arrows at .003 straightness how do you tell which one is better spined.

Bones

Shoot'em. Just shoot'em.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:01 PM

My bow shop tune the brodhead to the shaft have you tryed that ?
Old 05-07-2005, 01:07 AM

You might also want to consider trying some good old aluminum XX75 or XX78 Eastons. They are about as straight, concentric and consistant as you are going to get. (especially the XX78) Far better than carbons. The downside to aluminum is that they won't take as much abuse as carbons. They are also heavier, so your speeds will be down a bit. Chuck Adams still swears by aluminum arrows. If they're good enough for him..............
Old 05-07-2005, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

The downside to aluminum is that they won't take as much abuse as carbons.
Depends on whether you get the extra light aluminums that have wall thickness about the same as a beer can. They won't take any abuse at all. Get on up the scale to the heavier sizes, with wall thickness over .015", and I've not found carbon to be one whit more durable. I've got an XX75 Autumn Orange shaft in 2216 that's been my main stump shootin' arrow and rabbit getter, wearing a judo point, since the late 80's. It's been straightened a few times and refletched once (let's not get into that other myth about feathers not being durable!), but it's still every bit as useable as it's always been.

What I feel are the advantages of aluminum: Much better out of the box straightness and spine consistency than any all-carbon carbon arrow thus, better accuracy. Fatter diameter for better fletch clearance on the rest and easier tuning overall. Heavier weight means more energy going into the arrow which, in turn, means less left in the bow. Less energy left in the bow means less shock and vibration, quieter shooting, less frequent need for retuning and longer bow life. Aluminums are far, far less expensive than an all-carbon arrow with equivalent factory tolerances.

Disadvantage: A substantial loss in arrow speed so you have to be a good bit better at judging distance and you can't impress your buddies with how fast your bow is.

So, bones.... If you want a quiet shooting, accurate, durable arrow that will help your bow bow last a long time and be easier to tune; where you're practically guaranteed that each and every arrow out of a dozen will shoot broadheads to the same point of impact as all the others - and have some money left in your wallet - try heavier aluminum arrows.

If you can't judge distance and/or just have to have a fast arrow, then spend the big bucks on high end, top quality carbon. But, if you go that route, do yourself a favor and get ACC's so you can have a good, consistent aluminum core inside the carbon.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

The downside to aluminum is that they won't take as much abuse as carbons.
Depends on whether you get the extra light aluminums that have wall thickness about the same as a beer can. They won't take any abuse at all. Get on up the scale to the heavier sizes, with wall thickness over .015", and I've not found carbon to be one whit more durable. I've got an XX75 Autumn Orange shaft in 2216 that's been my main stump shootin' arrow and rabbit getter, wearing a judo point, since the late 80's.

Arthur
I shot a 2216 into a ground hogs head and it was bent when I retrieved it. It did hit the ground on the way out. I thought that was a bit to much for that kind of impact. I really like the abuse the gold tip pro's 75/95 are taking. I have some 55/75 hunters that take very little. A good varmit shaft.

Bones
The least quality shaft requires more stabilization. Build arrows accordingly.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like I said, nodog, I've bent that arrow of mine several times. The beauty of aluminum arrows with field points, blunts or judos (not broadheads) is they can be restraightened by hand in the field and used over and over again. That is, as long as they're not bent so much the shaft collapses. If you've got an arrow straightener, they can usually be brought back to factory straightness tolerances without too much trouble.

When a carbon arrow is crooked, nothing can save it. That old saw, "Carbon is either straight or broken" isn't quite true. Carbons most definitely can lose their straightness, either hitting something that's hard or just from slamming into targets over and over again.

Sooner or later, all arrows wear out. I've not seen that carbons last any longer than any other arrow. Frankly, the way their spine goes to pot, they don't have the longevity of even wood arrows, much less aluminum. That's just been my experiences with carbon.

By the way, you must have some hard headed groundhogs.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:25 AM

I just got back into archery seriously this year. I've been shooting carbons (Gold Tips and CX Terminators) since February with decent results.
I just recently started experimenting with aluminums again.
I have a pile of XX75 2315 arrows as well as 1/2 dozen XX75 2219 and a 1/2 dozen XX78 2512 arrows. I haven't recut the 2315s to my new setup yet. So far the 2512s are shooting pretty well. They are pretty thin walled so I suspect that their durability won't be up to par. The 2219s are shooting great!! My bow is definitely quieter using them. I actually had my first "Robin Hood" with these arrows. They are very heavy at about 540gr.. We'll see. I have a feeling I may settle on XX78 Super Slams in 2315 or 2219.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I feel are the advantages of aluminum: Much better out of the box straightness and spine consistency than any all-carbon carbon arrow thus, better accuracy.
With age comes wisdom , I totaly agree with Arther P .