Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Behold the new squrriel slayer >

Behold the new squrriel slayer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Behold the new squrriel slayer

Old 04-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Behold the new squrriel slayer

Okay now that my cheesy topic caught your eye, on to the story! lol

I went after some rabbits and mutant rats (MR for short aka squrriels) at a canal near my house. I didn't go out in the best time for rabbits to be out but i figured the MR would be out running around. Most of the land is flat so its hard to sneak up on anything out there. There was once small area that was flooded out during all the rain but dry and was really brushy and mixed in with some taller bushes and dirt mounds. I wasn't really expecting to actually get a shot off because the grass was about knee high. I was in there for a couple of minutes then i heard some MR ''barking''. I looked to my left about 20 yards and saw the tail of one running away. I was going to stalk that one then i heard another one barking. I know MR are pretty much the dumbest animals alive so i figured i would kneel down and play dog for a few minutes. Well a few minutes turned into 20 minutes. I was pretty much sitting where it was flooded a while back and some sting-needle was all over the place; I never knew why it was called that until I accidently touched it today. After 20 minutes or so, a few of the MR were coming out of their holes but i couldn't take a clear shot. One was behind some branches and was facing away from me. The other one was pretty much the same but he was broadside. He was starting to move and had he gone litlte bit up and to the left, i would have be able to take the shot. He decided he wanted to go the other way so i lost him. Several minutes later i just gave up and began stalking but they all hide. I went walking on the edge of the brushy area hoping maybe I could scare up a rabbit or another MR and hope it would stop long enough for a shot. It never happend of course. I went around the other side (this whole area was probably about 150 yards give or take) and finally, i saw a MR run about 25 yards in front of me and stopped just in front of his hole. I think the shot was roughly about 25 yards but i was using my second pin which was my 20 yarder. He was crouching low to the ground so i knew it would have been a tricky shot. I knew I wasn't going to have much time to take the shot but i didn't yank the release as bad as i though. I was aiming just behind his shoulder and released. I can't remember the name of it but i had one of those little broadhead stoppers that prevented it from getting buried into the ground to the point of not finding it. I think i may have actually hit both him and the ground. I knew i hit him good because of the sound it made and the fact he jumped up and right into his hole, which was probably only half an inch away from his head. I went to get the arrow and i noticed that there was about half an inch of blood on my b'head and a large puddle of it next to and in his hole. I wish i could have seen where in in fact hit him but i know i did. Chalk one up mutant rat for this bowhunter
Old 04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Behold the new squrriel slayer

way to go jug head!
Old 04-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Judo point.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:04 AM

So did you try tracking him?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Fork Horn

I went to get the arrow and i noticed that there was about half an inch of blood on my b'head and a large puddle of it next to and in his hole. I wish i could have seen where in in fact hit him but i know i did.
you probably spared him as a happy meal for the buzzards,he's probably now better off where he's at.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

So did you try tracking him?
Of course! It was a tough trail but i managed

you probably spared him as a happy meal for the buzzards,he's probably now better off where he's at.
I noticed after i left there were a few Red-Tailed Hawks circling near where i got him at

Judo point.
Yeah that's it. I was close, i was thinking it was called Hudo though. I've had them for so long now lol
Old 04-18-2005, 12:54 PM

Squirrels are good eatin'. And fun shooting with a .22 while scouting for deer. Hope you found him, terrible feeling to shoot something and not be able to use the meat.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

Squirrels are good eatin'
I think he is talking ground squirrels...not tree squirrels like gray, fox, red, etc, but not really sure.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, sorry it was a ground squrriel. This was my first one that i take with a bow. I wish i did have the money so i could have got it mounted as well as my first rabbit. The area I was at, the MR and rabbits are considered nusiances, especially the MR. I was out in farm land, which isn't really that many cows out there but the people i got premission to shoot up the place (with bow anyway) have some horses. One horse had to be put down because it broke its leg severaly due to stepping in one of the MR's hole so they were happy to let me make the squirrel population out there down by at least one so far Since there are horses near by, i wouldn't try to take hunt out there with my 22.; plus with my bow its more of a challenge.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Jollyarcher

Judo point.
I havent seen judos in ages.

Quick Reply: Behold the new squrriel slayer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.