HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Beginner bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/97553-beginner-bow.html)

Porintree 04-16-2005 11:24 PM

Beginner bow

I have a friend that is looking to buy a bow. She is 22 years old and wants to get into archery. She would like to hunt someday (whitetail, black bear) so I was wondering what would be the best bow for her to get to get into the world of archery. Would she be better of getting a bow that would be suitable for hunting with higher draw weight? Or a beginners bow or youth bow to just get experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

zak123 04-17-2005 07:57 AM

RE: Beginner bow

I would recommend getting a used PSE bow. I know you can take whitetail with low draw weights, but I am not sure about black bear. I would imagine a 45 pound bow could take either with a good cut on contact head. PSE makes good "beginner" bows that are made for hunting. You can get a good one for about $300, but you can save a ton of money by buying a used one.

thesource 04-17-2005 08:00 AM

I bought my son a Browning Micro-eclipse when he was about 12, and he used it to hunt with until he was 16.

Draw weight was adjustable from 25-45# (although it actually went higher - 52#) and draw length is adjustable to 26". It was perfect - as he grew and got stronger, we could keep adjusting both length and weight, and it is a true quality bow. I highly recommend it.

Remember, though their are legal (and ethical) limits to how low the draw weight should be to hunt. NY state is 35#, but Mike didn't hunt deer with it until he could draw 45#.

nodog 04-17-2005 09:58 AM

Recently bought this for my kids.

Alpine Micro Youth RH Camo Brand New 21-28" 50#

Haven't set it up yet but it seems to be a good bow. The adjustability is what I was after and the weight goes down to 35, I think. It was around $200. There is a Hoyt I would like to step the kids up to later.

hunohio 04-17-2005 12:48 PM

thesource

Is the draw weight on the Micro Eclipse limited/influenced by the drawlength? I was thinking about one of those for my daughter, but was concerned I'd never get her up to 45 pounds because of her short drawlength. If that's not the case, that would be useful news. Thanks.

Canadian Chic 04-17-2005 06:55 PM

i would recommened an Excaliber Crossbow, probably an Exocet (depending on how big she is), i have on and it is awesome, and really accurate. Excaliber makes the best bows.

Chic

zak123 04-17-2005 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Canadian Chic

i would recommened an Excaliber Crossbow, probably an Exocet (depending on how big she is), i have on and it is awesome, and really accurate. Excaliber makes the best bows.

Chic
Oh, my gosh, not again.

Canadian Chic 04-17-2005 06:58 PM

ORIGINAL: zak123

ORIGINAL: Canadian Chic

Chic
Oh, my gosh, not again.
what do ya mean, "not again"!!!

Chic

zak123 04-17-2005 07:06 PM

There were about 200 pages of crossbow bashing here about a week ago.