Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

after a kill?

Old 04-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default after a kill?

I was wondring if you shoot a deer is that spot ruined and for how long is it going to be spoilled i am kinda new to bow hunting and the after shot my first deer with a bow i never saw deer at that place agian so i was just wondring. thanks for all the help everyone has given me in the past and you all deffinatly halped me bag my first deer. Thanks again.
Marshall
Old 04-17-2005, 07:24 AM

Default RE: after a kill?

sometimes the blood actually attracts deer IMO - why I dont know. Sometimes it spooks them - why I don't know.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:45 AM

Its impossible to say because it is never set in stone. A few years ago I shot a doe in my woods and didn't see a deer in those woods for a couple weeks, on the other hand, I have shot deer and had deer come in just minutes later and act like nothing was wrong!

If your spot looks good, I would keep hunting it, atleast for a few days!
Old 04-17-2005, 12:19 PM

I think it all depends on what you do whie recovering your kill. We used to send out 10 man tracking parties. As you can imagine there is no way to keep that many people from stomping all over the place and spreading scent, whoopin and hollerin. I have seen areas that held alot of deer go cold for some time after one of these events. On the other hand I have field dressed animals in sight of my treestand and not have it affect the area at all. This due to the fact that only a couple of guys went in and recovered the animal and got out. We didn't walk around and celebrate there. We got the deer and got out.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had deer that I shot fall within my view and had another deer walk up to the dead one, walk around it and sniff it, then just walk off! The human scent thing is a bit different.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer don,t know what a gut pile is. In fact it is probably a strong cover sent. Where I hunt the pile is usually gone the next morning. Like alot ofhunters I have killed deer in the morning and returned to the same spot that evening and done the same.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:02 AM

I don't think it makes any diffrence. As long as you don't get busted (asides from the dead deer) and you don't leave a bunch of scent while looking for the animal you should be fine to hunt from the same stand. I have shot mulitple animals from the same stand durring the same season.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know how much it matter if at all. But, I will drag a deer out of the area before field dressing it. I have had coyottes and dogs in the gut piles too many times.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:10 PM

I think it depends on the area. I have seen both situations happen. I've killed a deer about 7:30 am and my brother changed spots to a tree about 15 yards away from the one I was in and he brought home a doe also. I've also not seen deer for days in areas where one was killed. It all depends on the food, water and cover in the area.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I have actually seen doe jump over a gut pile with no regardes. I drag my deer way from where I like to hunt to field dress. Not so much to keep the smell of blood from my spot, but to keep yotes from stinking the place up when they come to eat the guts. The event I mentioned above happened after field dressing a buck. A buddy of mine had shot a buck, so we drug it off the field dress. Afterwards we drug the deer to the road so we could drive up and load it. As we were head to the truck, we see some doe moving. We stop and watch. They walked right past the place we had just field dressed the buck in. One actually jumped over the fresh gut pile.

Quick Reply: after a kill?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.