Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hog hunting

Old 04-15-2005, 08:08 AM

Default hog hunting

I am going to try a short weekend self doing hog hunt. I know a general location of where hogs are. 1. what are my chances? 2. What do I need to do to go about narrowing the location and increasing my chances? 3. I have heard about sour corn, and diesle fuel. What is the doings with this and what do you do to make sour corn? thanks for all.................Mitch
Old 04-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: hog hunting

They will most likely be moving during the dark. Your best chance would be to get out early, before sun up, and out early around 5:00 and stay till you just can see. Take some post hole diggers and dig you a couple of holes in a location that you have been seeing wallows, ruts, and tracks. Dig a couple of holest as deep as you can in this location. Fill them half way with corn (soured or just plain corn, either works just as well). pour a pack of dry jello, in the hole and then fill it the rest of the way with corn. Do this to all the holes. Go back and pour another thing of jello on top of the holes to entice them. Do this at least 5 days before you plan on hunting. They will find it and dig at the holes for about a week. Once they find it, they will come back every night until there is no corn or smell of jello left. You will be surprised how big of a wallow they will make out of each hole. This is the easiest way I have found to bait them in a quick situation. Best is to make a feeder pipe/ barrel. Some times the present of a pipe or barrel will throw them off for a week or so. So the bait hole would be the best bet for your situation.

You can also use molassis in place of the jello. I sometimes use them both. One hole with corn and jello (strawberry is the best) and another hole with corn and molassis. Put out as many holes you want. The more the better. Also consider your cover when making hole placements. Want to make sure you can make a good shot.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I have heard about sour corn, and diesle fuel. What is the doings with this and what do you do to make sour corn?
The diesle is more of a trapers trick. It keeps the deer out of the traps. Hogs dont perticularly like diesle, but will eat the corn anyway, where as a deer will not touch it with deisel on it. Like I said, the whole dielse trick is to keep the deer out of hog trapes, or to keep the deer from eating all the corn. The hole trick I mentioned does the same thing with out tanting the corn. The deer can not dig like the hogs, so you dont have to worry about them eating all the corn.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:47 AM

Thanks a ton for the info. As far as making sour corn, just put corn in water and let it set for awhile? thanks again...................Mitch
Old 04-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mitchmedic

Thanks a ton for the info. As far as making sour corn, just put corn in water and let it set for awhile? thanks again...................Mitch
Best way to sour it is, put it in a bucket, fill with water and add a beer or yeast to it and cover it. Make sure the cover has a way to let the gasses escape, like holes in the lid. Put the bucket in a warm place. I quit doing the sour corn thing. I have never seen any advatage to it.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

just to add a little to what bernie said, when you add the beer or whiskey to the corn. You can add some sugar which will give the yeast something to feed on in order to ferment. I have had some very good experiences with the diesel/used motor oil. The ONLY purpose that I have ever seen this for is that the hogs rub on it and the oil helps keep insects away from them. Some guys land what I hunt on set a 4x4 post in the ground and then wrap barbed wire around it. Then they pour diesel or used motor oil on the post. It's unbelieveable how much they use this thing. It wasn't 2 days after the first time that we did it, and then all the barbed wire was completely covered in hair.

The other thing that I have found to work even better than corn is wheat seed. We didn't know if it would work or not, but we scattered out a 5 gallon bucket in some short dead grass. The next evening (28 hours later) the whole area looked like a gym floor. There wasn't 1 piece of wheat anywhere and the grass was even gone. It looked like they used a hoover to suck everything up.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:52 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Another fun way to hunt them is stalking. If you know the general area and can spot one try stalking. They do not see well and if you don't move while they are looking you can get within bow range. They smell and hear extremely well so keep the wind in you favor and be quiet. Like burnie said, very ealy morning and late in the evening to try to spot them.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Yep mez.
I love to get out and start walking. If you keep the wind in your face, a lot of the time you will hear the things long before you see them. They are not know for being very quiet. I shot almost all my hogs this way. I have found it pretty fun to hunt with pistols and bows this way.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:15 PM

Stick with MEZ keep the wind in your face look for cover, water and smoke them. No reason to bait, there not that smart just realy scared. Please post a Photo Good luck.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

Spot and stalk hunting for hogs is a real blast, however the big ones don't tend to hang in groups, they are more of loners.

The post hole thing works like a charm. Once the hogs find the hole, you will swear someone took a backhoe to the hole.
In addition to the Jell-O there is a product called Hog Wild that you sprinkle on. The stuff smells awesome, like berry or something, and the hogs really go for it.

One other thing we found that works well is this disgusting cherry flavored soda called ten high. We bought it in 3 liter bottles and poured it on and around the corn.

BTW, here is the 250 pounder I took in Texas this Feburary

Quick Reply: hog hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.