Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 String makers,what gig do you use. >

String makers,what gig do you use.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String makers,what gig do you use.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default String makers,what gig do you use.

My string gig broke (about time, it was older than Mosses). What is the best gig out today. Also, what twist do you prefer on you string? I used up the last of my string and my gig got broke in a recent move. I need new string matirial and a new gig. I havent bought any in years and was wanting to know what is the latest.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: String makers,what gig do you use.

I use one that apple archery sells,and bought the extension piece so that I can make strings for single cam bows(they are longer).I mounted the whole works on a 2x12.Also a neat Idea is a one armk homemade jig I'll edit this and post the link.I usually twist my strings about 13 to 20 twist depending on the length(long strings more twist,shorte fewer)Also I use BCY 452.Here is that link I'll also post a pic of my jig when I get a chance http://www.rfd.cc/endless/ejig.html
Old 04-12-2005, 05:29 PM

yellowstone dream machine (108") by bcy with a micro stretcher and a scale for tensioning. 452x is great as is 8125. some others can speak up about the brownell material but i use bcy. 452x is more stable and 8125 is faster. i think the yellowstone is the best, but its really long and doesn't break down, but that's what allows you to use the micro stretcher to put 200 or so pounds of tension on the string for serving.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the in put. I am going to have to make more strings once turkey season is over and need to buy a new jig. Ill give those a look. I like 8125, but Ill give 452x a look. I have had little problems with 8125 but Im always up to giving others a try.