Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I do believe I found a new hunting release!? >

I do believe I found a new hunting release!?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I do believe I found a new hunting release!?

Old 04-12-2005, 06:36 AM

Default RE: I do believe I found a new hunting release!?

Matt,

Its a nice release and I have sold a few to customers who got a little out of control with there trigger finger

I hope it works out for you - but I am a TRUE believer in every new gizmo works great for 3 days............................lol.........then the ole mind picks it apart.

If you force yourself to NEVER punch the thing - and set it up right so your back can set it off - every time - you will shoot well with it
Old 04-12-2005, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe in spite of CJ’s directions, that drawing WITH the strap is wrong. (I think that’s in their attempt to appeal to hunters) I tried it both ways to see for myself, and when drawn with the strap, if it’s short enough to have your hand in the proper position it’s too easy to pull with a large portion of your back tension against the strap itself which is VERY counterproductive to shooting it properly. It also makes it much slower to fire because you don't realize you are not pulling against the trigger like you should.
Then if you make the strap long enough that it is of no influence at full draw and then draw using it, when you try to make the transition from strap to putting your hand pressure on the handle it is already to far out on your fingers.

IMO this thing should be shot exactly like I describe, draw with your hand just like you would any free floating T-handle design and simply use the strap to keep from dropping it. The strap hurts what the release is all about if you use it.
I just draw with my middle finger riding alongside the head and pull with the other 3 fingers. If you can’t draw your bow comfortably with 3 fingers than you are drawing too much weight.
I would say that if you you can't figure out how it SHOULD feel, remove the strap and shoot it that way for a while.......you will quickly feel how it is supposed to be shot.

The reason I think many releases feel “foreign” to a lot of people is that they don’t shoot the one they have properly. I see Soooooooooo many index release shooters shooting with the trigger way out front and they have to stretch their index finger out to the tip and shoot like that.
To shoot any release properly, index or T-Handle , the direction of the force applied by your finger or fingers needs to be basically over the face of the trigger and the force should be straight back through a line with your elbow pulling with your back muscles.
Index shooters should drape their index finger in front of the trigger freely, relax the hand and pull straight back against the trigger.
A T handle release should also not be out into your finger tips.

One thing to note with these styles of releases, Index and T-handle if shot with proper anchors do not share a common peep height.
If you try to make them each work around the same peep height ONE of them is going to feel very uncomfortable.
IMO if you are sharing a common peep height between the 2 styles then one of the 2 is being shot with an improper anchor point.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:00 AM

I believe in spite of CJ’s directions, that drawing WITH the strap is wrong
Very good point!!!!

If you load all the weight onto the strap there is no way to get it to go off unless you squeeze your fingers to do it.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-13-2005, 02:05 PM

Well you got me. Just got off the phone with Cabelas and my Copper John is on the way.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just an FYI.....
This is gonna sound stupid and obvious to you guys with T-Handle release experience, but I'm not sure all the index release guys realize that you anchor very differently with this style release.
You don't anchor with the palm of your hand toward yur face......you need to rotate your hand , so that the back of your hand is toward your face and you actually anchor against the backside of your knuckles with your face.

If you try to shoot this in the same hand position as an index /wrist strap release you're gonna be a mess.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:14 PM

Has anyone tried hunting with either the Chappy Boss or one of the other TRU Ball T-Handle releases? I shot a Cascade Model 8 for a while, and I loved the "relax release" style, but would never try to hunt with something that only has that little horn attached to the string loop. I want to know if the TRU Ball heads work well, and how it is using your thumb to pull the trigger?
I don't think I could get used to shooting with my middle finger, especially that low on the finger.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:46 PM

i hunt with a truball exteme with a talon head with the rope taken off. its the new extreme that you don't cock. it operates like the prodiamond but with the extreme handle and saves you about .5" of drawlength that the daimond costs. its reliable, solid, and accurate. its also quiet. no click.
either pulling the trigger with your thumb or squeezing your pinky and ring finger causing it to rotate in your hand are very reliable and accurate methods of firing it. however, learning to relax your hand, arm, bicep, and shoulder, oh the glory of the relaxed shoulder, and useing back tension and a slightly relaxing hand to let it release at some point are more accurate. but in a pinch you could punch the crud out of it and know where your arrow was going.