Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does anyone care about accuracy? >

Does anyone care about accuracy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does anyone care about accuracy?

Old 04-14-2005, 11:37 AM

Default RE: Does anyone care about accuracy?

well BGfisher, any time yoiu want to try to come "educate" me im also from PA and this is not being cocky or mean in any way i also shoot a 38 inch bow and it is very forgiving but it is cranking in the mid 280's but dont start talking about "educating" people when you do not know who your talking too
Old 04-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont care about speed
Old 04-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Accurracy should be the #1 factor.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Red Hawk

Okay i'm going to feel dumb asking this but i have to. Aside from the poundage you shoot, what truely makes one arrow go faster then the other? (and aside from weight)
Your draw length affects your speed.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Techy,you quoted me with the accuracy freak remark.The reason I said that was because I am an accuracy freak almost to a fault just like some are a speed freak to a fault.

When I sight in if I am shooting an inch to the right at 50 yards with my hunting setup,I move the sight untill it is dead on.Then I start torquing and everything else on purpose to see what effects it has on point of impact.You will see a big difference when shooting a deflex riser over a reflex one when doing these types of things.

Speed can be achieved with very forgiving bows today.I get 284 fps from my Protec with a target setup @ 28 1/2". 59#'s with 300 grain arrows. My hunting bow is much slower.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:53 AM

No, Why do you?

Of course, Just besause you are shooting a fast bow doesn't mean they are not accurate. I shoot a Matthews Outback set up at 72lbs. approx. 290fps. I can group 6 arrows into a 2" circle at 20 yeard all day. nothing wrong with that is there.

ORIGINAL: ewolf

Does anyone care about accuracy anymore? Everything is speed this, speed that. Reflex risers(reason for post), short ATA lengths, Fast arrows(Which are less accurate), low point weight (85 gr. broadheads). Every bow I buy is the most accurate in the line. IMO accuracy has taken a back seat to speed and style/looks. Anyone else think this is the case?
Old 04-15-2005, 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

1)Techy,you quoted me with the accuracy freak remark.The reason I said that was because I am an accuracy freak almost to a fault just like some are a speed freak to a fault.

2)When I sight in if I am shooting an inch to the right at 50 yards with my hunting setup,I move the sight untill it is dead on.Then I start torquing and everything else on purpose to see what effects it has on point of impact.You will see a big difference when shooting a deflex riser over a reflex one when doing these types of things.

3)Speed can be achieved with very forgiving bows today.I get 284 fps from my Protec with a target setup @ 28 1/2". 59#'s with 300 grain arrows. My hunting bow is much slower.
1) I was just trying to stress that you can have both speed and accuracy. Not cutting on you, just emphasizing my point. I am an accuracy freak also, just at 300 fps that's all

2) I do the same things[8D]

3) I agree, my Alliegance is pretty forgiving IMO
Haven't chonoed it in a while but it is around 300 with 29" draw, 70#'s, 370gr arrow. That is my hunting and target setup. I need to get a separate target bow More toys!
Old 04-16-2005, 07:26 AM

Speed is not factor when I'm setting up my bows. I choose my bows and accessories for forgivness and accuracy. I couldn't tell ya how fast my arrow is flying. I'm consistently tweeking my equipment for better accuracy. I've been shooting Merlin's for the last 4 years for the feel and accuracy I achieve with these bows. They are not noted for the speed but will shoot the 300 fps with the best of them. Like most bows today they can shoot much better then I can. From what I see at the shoots and the guys I talk to Speed is the last equation in they're set-up. Once you achive 275 fps the rest is over kill for both hunting and competition. The difference I see with the bows today as comprared to 20 years ago is you can achieve the 280-300 fps at lower poundage. Thats a good thing in now there is less guys over bowed. Now if they would shorten there draw they would shoot with better accuracy. Another difference I noticed today as compred to passed years is the gap in scores is less. The scores aren't any higher but there are more people shooting in the higher numbers. Thats due to the equipment of today. The sights,the cams,loops are better along with the sting and cables and releases made arrow flight and accuracy easier to achive. So the average shooter is shooting better if they put in the time. I don't think speed is bad except if you compromise accuracy to achieve it. Jerry
Old 04-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhunterlimerick

well BGfisher, any time yoiu want to try to come "educate" me im also from PA and this is not being cocky or mean in any way i also shoot a 38 inch bow and it is very forgiving but it is cranking in the mid 280's but dont start talking about "educating" people when you do not know who your talking too

Why are you getting personal about this?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Medic167

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Arthur, that's more or lesswhat I was aying but apparently Medic is thin skinned and thick headed. Says he doesn't need my education. That's fine, but then one who doesn't want to learn is well.....youy know what I mean. I did mention that one should be flexible in this sport if he wants to learn.

And for the record, I'm not against speed. I'm totally for it. I've been chasing that mythical 300fps for 1 years and finally got a bow that will do it. Albeit a 3D setup, but at 27" draw and 53# that is smoking.

Flexibility young man. The sport changes every year. Gotta keep up. But don't throw out the past. Never know when you'll need some of that info.
No, I am not thin skinned at all. Just tired of the superior attitudes out there. I have never said we can not learn from each other. I just don't need to be berated becasue I shoot a fast bow. And I am sick of the attitude that fast is inaccurate. All I have ever said on that issue is that it is the shooter behind the bow that makes it accurate.

I have never said anything about older shooters. I shoot with a 62yo and a 72yo regulary. I learn much about archery history from them and want education from such men. The 62 yo outshoots me every day. He has been shooting for years and I have not. So I learn much from them about the art of archery. I do not need to learn from those that only accept those who believe like they do and is intolerant of those who do not.

I signed up to this forum to learn from those with experience and have found out that this is a forum to berate those that do not agree with you. So I guess I did learn something from this site.

OK, so you're not thin skinned. I'll accept that. But why are you taking it out on me. What did I say that made you want to get personal. I think if you read my posts you'll not see that I was berating anything or anybody, really. As for me educating people? I don't mean I know everything. What I mean is that people can learn from each other if they have an open mind and are willing to experiment.

I've been shooting compounds for 31 years now and I'm learning new stuff all the time, but then my bows are constantly being changed. I'm never satisfied with NOT experimenting. And I learn a lot from younger guys, too.

Quick Reply: Does anyone care about accuracy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.