HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What's safer; tree stand, ladder stand, or tripod (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/96862-whats-safer-tree-stand-ladder-stand-tripod.html)

max the dog 04-10-2005 09:08 AM

What's safer; tree stand, ladder stand, or tripod

After reading another topic about tree stand I started wondering.
What's safer; a climber tree stand, a hang-on tree stand, a ladder stand, or a tripod.

At one point or another I've used all 4 and right now I'll call the climber the safer way of getting up high. At least I can clip the safety harnes to the climber as I'm going up the tree.

What do you guys think.

kansaswiderack 04-10-2005 12:38 PM

RE: What's safer; tree stand, ladder stand, or tripod

For my money that ladder stand is the easiest to get in and out of, therefore I believe it is the safest.

Oldguy 04-10-2005 04:24 PM

I guess it depends upon the quality of the tree stand. I built mine out of 2X6 treated lumber. Bolted to two trees, with 4, 2X6 angled braces. Ladder was also 2X6 with an angle so it was not too steep. The stand itself is 8 ft. X 8 ft. with side rails. It seem safe to me.

TimberCreek 04-10-2005 06:03 PM

This one is safe! Warm and out of the weather, I have built three now. Gives me something to do out of season.

TimberCreek 04-10-2005 06:05 PM

and this one!

Pro-Line 04-10-2005 06:07 PM

Timber...Nice stand. It's one-dimensional, isn't it? You don't bow-hunt out of that do you?

I believe that ladder stands are probably the safest. I also think that they are all safe if you follow directions...don't get in a hurry...and know your limitations.

I used to be 340# (now 230) and I hunted from all types of stands at that weight. Never had a problem.

jerseyhunter 04-10-2005 07:02 PM

For my money that ladder stand is the easiest to get in and out of, therefore I believe it is the safest.
I think it's a matter of what you feel comfortable with. I know people who can climb up and get off a ladder but can't get back on.

max the dog 04-11-2005 05:09 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm just intimidated by falling again. Before I fell I took all sorts of foolish chances that could've got me killed. Now I'm nervous when I get over 10 feet but these deer have a radar that can see all unless you go over 20 feet. I probably won't use hang on stands again as they just never feel to stable to me. A pernament stand is just too,,,, unmovable. On my property a 20 yards can make the difference between a good hunt and not seeing a single deer all day long.
I'll probably stick to the climbers and use ladders where I think I won't have to move it for a while.