Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I can look down on you for using a compound >

I can look down on you for using a compound

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can look down on you for using a compound

Old 04-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I can look down on you for using a compound

someone needs to get a life.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:56 AM

This smells like another 100 = pages of Bull sh-t!!!
Old 04-09-2005, 12:23 PM

You passed on my wager which you knew you would lose!
I seriously doubt you could contact all those guys and of course, they'd all say that everyone needs a lot of practice before they hunt. I'd hazard a guess they'd also say crossbow shooters need lots of practice too though as well as rifle shooters. Everyone needs practice -don't they ? Some just more than others. So I don't think your "wager" was really valid.

You have not and can not establish that using a compound is easy,
What is the % of compound users in your state ? 95% ? 98% ? Why do they choose compounds ?

Are you in favor of more stringent competency testing by our hunter education departments before we can take to the field with a particular weapon?(Bring it on in my opinion!)
I don't think thats a solution at all because een the best target shooters are poor hunters.

Maybe if I understood your motivation more clearly it would make sense.
I see hunters against hunters when it comes to the crossbow argument. I see crossbows as a way to bring in a few more hunters to bowhunting, and I see it as having no negative effects at all to bowhunting. Heck, I LIVE in a crossbow legal state, you'd think I'd know a little about it, would't you ?

But yet, every crossbow thread is dominated with "get their own season" & "crossbows aint bows" & "we can't afford more hunters in archery season" & "its all about the draw and the letoff" blah blah blah and none of those arguments make any sense at all.

They don't, especially seeing as how the compound affords archers vast advantages in drawing and holding.

Go to www.bowsite.com and click on the feature on the lower right - Green Africa - i think its called. Watch, particularly the wildebeast kill , and tell me how many of those shots could have been done with a (A)compound a (B) crossbow and (C) a recurve/longbow.

The hunt don't change much in using a compound and a crossbow. Compounds are a bit harder. But either compared to a recurve ? Please - not even close.

So back again to the rabid hatred towards them. THAT is what I am exploring here and not only that, but just how far "bows" can push what 'boes" are suppose to be and us still be "bowhunters". Its a very deep and complex debate.

This thread isn't meant to belittle compounds - I like compounds - any moreso than compounders can belittle crossbows though. If you got a compound and you don't like crossbows, ask yourself WHY. If its all about the draw and the holding - then you can easily understand that I can look down on you too, can't you ? That is my point to this thread

tocs you said

For most of us the time necessary to become proficient with traditional equipment is not available.Family,Work,Faith,giving to your community etc..
what about guys that don't want to put forth the effort to learn your compounds ?

aeroslinger - you are double wrong. I posted my nice non-typical right after I killed it , how and why. You say you don't want crossbows in archery season ........... but you don't say WHY ? And that sir, is the whole key, knowing WHY you are against something instead of just regurgetating P&Y and PBS stuff

but the crossbow is still allot more different than any bow when hunting.
Are you certain of that ? Have you hunting with a compound, a crossbow and a recurve ? I have - have you ? And I'm saying that all 3 have huge differences, each have pluses and minuses and a compound in the hands of an archer is THE best weapon to have in archery season to fill your tag, followed by the crossbow, followed by trad bows.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm one of those yuppy compounders. I wish I was half the archer you are datamax.

Sorry, but a crossbow is nothing other than a gun that shoots a very short arrow and is limited in range. Why do we not want them in them in the woods other than in special circumstances? I don't know. My father uses one only becuase he is disabled and can't use a traditional bow or compound. His thoughts? He doesn't see a need for them either. IF you are able bodied and can use a compound or traditional, why use a crossbow?

Sorry, but this whole thread is retarded. If you take away compouds, you take away the sport. Not many people don't want to use a stick bow. I don't. I have one a play around with it, but my interests is in the compounds.

I say to each their own between the two. But no, crossbows are not bows. They are short range guns IMO>
Old 04-09-2005, 12:49 PM

If a cross bow wasn't entirely different, then pope and young would let cross bow harvested animals in there record books.

In my opinion the fact that they don't let cross bow harvested animals in there record books, shows that it isn't even archery. Because pope and young is all about archery hunting, but no cross bows alowed

However, i have no problem with cross bow hunters, i'm just saying that it is totally different.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

No, I'm double right. Your sole purpose seems to be to slam compounds and you spew so much crap its sickening and its so transparent for all to see. Maybe a few slammed crossbows but most did not including myself. All most were saying is they did not belong in archery season. I think they should be legal as they are in Texas. I doubt it would effect me at all if they was in archery season but if that was the case they might as well make 1 season for all weapons. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having them included in gun season. That whole argument has and serves no purpose other than a platform to tell the world you feel you are so much better than someone else and thats such a joke. I imagine there are a lot of people like me with a family (wife and 3 young kids) and a full time job making ends meet. I would have no trouble shooting trad and would love to if I had the money and time. And yes, I believe myself, as most on here would be just as good at it as you, if not better but I would not feel the need to crow about it or try to make someone feel inferior. I also have limited hunting opportunities and I would certainly cut down my range and shots due to the limitations of trad equipment. Why don't you just appreciate the opportunity you have and I'm sure you could let people know the challenges and enjoyments that you get from trad as opposed to compounds in a more positive way without letting your inner feelings get in the way. Of course, if thats TRULY how you felt. I don't "look down" on anybody thats ethically hunting within the law.

One more thing. I have never and probably will never shoot a P&Y and I could not tell you P&Y or PBS stance on crossbows. Absolutely has nothing to do with it. It is simply the use of a crossbow, in my opinion, as well as seemingly the majority here as well as the majority of the states, does not conform to the use of handbows and, if allowed as a legal hunting weapon, moreso conforms to the use of guns and should be included in gun season. Once again, there is no issue here in Texas. They are legal in general season, which is at least twice as long as archery season.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:05 PM

Data I will answer your questions, I have hunted with a Compound, a Recurve, and an American Flatbow. No I have not hunted with a crossbow, But I have shot one long enough to recognise they would be allot easier to use in a hunting situation "already cocked, and with a scope on it".

Yes I am certin a crossbow is alot different than any other common bow when used in a hunting situation.

Data, I have a question for you know! If you were sitting in a treestand and a animal was standing in front of you @ 20 yards broadside. Would you have a better chance of harvesting that deer with a crossbow or a Bow? Be honest, everyone is welcomed to answer PLEASE!
Old 04-09-2005, 01:47 PM

I think these two threads have gone on long enough, accomplishing very little or nothing, except for dividing us as bowhunters.

While it may be a good point, and I dont completely disagree with some of Datas points, its definitely not being approached properly.

Trying to teach other hunters not to ridicule a weapon, by ridiculing theirs isnt going to work. Thats like teaching your dog not to cr-p in the house by taking dumps in his doggy bed. Its not gonna teach him...

I think if everyone stops responding, it will just die.

Dont argue, dont try to get your point across, DONT REPLY!

This thread and the crossbow thread are simply giving bowhunting a black-eye.

Ammo for the antis....They have enough, lets not give them anymore.

Please no more bickering.

PS. Thanks for the links Data....I will look them over when I get a chance.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

So we make a compound and crossbow season (for all you sissy's that won't take the time to learn to shoot a real bow, right ) and give ya'll about 4 weeks, and the other 8-12 weeks we'll reserve for really tough bowhunting (recurves and longbows)
I'm a little confused?[&:] Is it the persistant practice and dedication involved in becoming proficient with a recurve that makes it tough? Or is it just bowhunting with a recurve that makes it tough?
Please enlighten this "sissy" because all the trad shooters I know readily admit it's the dedication to practice that makes it tougher. Each weapon (trad/compound) has it's advantages to hunting situations.

thesource - so I DO have every reason to look down on compounders, make fun of them, call them non-archers and wish they were not a part of archery seaon at all and have validity in those views ?
Just curious. Did you have that trophy buck you shot last year with "your dads compound" mounted? If so , why?

I didn't know you'd hunted with a crossbow ? Please tell us what it was like.
That question wasn't intended for me but I can give my experience.
I hunt in pretty dense hardwoods , out of box blinds. My shots are limited to 40yds and under. Most of my deer have been shot under 30yds.
When I see one or hear something coming I'll get in position for the shot using the edge of my box blind as a rest. When the shot opportunity presents itself I steady my aim (through my scope) and slowly squeeze the trigger.
I just described my shotgun season in WI. Doesn't sound any different than hunting with a crossbow does it? How do I know? Because my father in law harvested a doe out of his box blind with his crossbow during archery season , less than 150yds from me.

Compound shooters who miss a lot/wound should go to a crossbow. Agree ?
Disagree! They should practice more! That and stop listening to guys like you who claim compounds are soooo easy.

BTW - is the differences in what is and isn't allowed now based on sights (scopes) ?? Hey - almost all compounders use sights - recurve shooters shoot with no sights. Yet another reason for us to look down on ya'll ..... right ?
No! The difference on what is allowed now and whats not is based on the physics of operation behind the weapon. Draw locks. Of course you already knew that , your just running out of ammo.
Btw , most compounders use sights. Most trad shooters dont (<not all).
ALL trad shooters and compound shooters use some type of aiming reference!

Question for you data.

When you started bowhunting , what type of bow did you use and why?

thesource - its about archery really, where its been, where its at and where we're going. Its actually a very complex, deep subject that I take much more seriously than most guys do -
Really? As for "where it's at " and "where it's going" , where would you like to see it go? And why?

You definitely get your shots in where ever possible
Someone else finally noticed.[]
Old 04-09-2005, 04:20 PM

Sorry, but a crossbow is nothing other than a gun that shoots a very short arrow and is limited in range
A crossbow uses gunpowder and primers and shells ? Wow - I didn't know that ? !!

IF you are able bodied and can use a traditional bow , why use a compound ?

If you take away compouds, you take away the sport
You mean before compounds there was no Sport of Archery ?

If a cross bow wasn't entirely different, then pope and young would let cross bow harvested animals in there record books.
Up until just a year or two agom >65% letoff wasn't allowed in the P&Y books. Were they not "bows" because of that ?? And lets say P&Y does allow them in 2010 - are they now bows just because the P&Y says so ?

However, i have no problem with compound hunters, i'm just saying that it is totally different.

aeroslinger - boy, you aint getting it, are you ? The very same thing you wrote could say "crossbow" and apply equally. The time, the dedication, the money, the places to hunt, making the most of the opportunities ......... compound can be said to be everything you make crossbows to be.

You don't even realize that, do you ?

If you were sitting in a treestand and a animal was standing in front of you @ 20 yards broadside. Would you have a better chance of harvesting that deer with a crossbow or a Bow? Be honest, everyone is welcomed to answer PLEASE!
You mean "bow" meaning compound or trad bow ? I'd say equally as likely to kill it with a crossbow or compound. Compounds are quieter, less chance to spook when the shot takes place, a crossbow would have a bit of an edge because of the not having to draw.

Either would give me more of an edge than my trad bow.

Trying to teach other hunters not to ridicule a weapon, by ridiculing theirs isnt going to work.
Actually it works quite well to put people in perspective. Some people will get it, others won't. Thinking WHY you believe something is very hard to do - especially when you can't which is the case here.

Mattiac - being afraid to talk about things is bad ? I specifically said I wasn't bashing compounds and you clearly understood that. I'd assume everyone else would read the words and understand as well.

Can we not talk about canned hunting here without fear of anti's ? About AR's and QDM without fear ? Post thread on missing deer or wounding them without fear ?

I won't play that game. The anti's hate you and I regardless and its much better to explore the things that ARE bowhunting and hunting in general that to be scared to do so. IMO

Quick Reply: I can look down on you for using a compound

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.