Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long did it take you? >

How long did it take you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long did it take you?

Old 04-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default How long did it take you?

I was just wondering how long did it take u guys to make good groups at 10 yards when u first started practicing with a bow?
Old 04-01-2005, 11:47 AM

Default RE: How long did it take you?

Within an hour or so of installing my sights, I would say.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:52 AM

good groups at 10 yards
Good like bustin knocks or just within a 1.5 inch group. I got small groups pretty quickly but didn't start busting knocks until I built up some extra mussle. Had I known then what I know now I'd have turned my bow down a bit. I was waaaaaaayyyyy overbowed when I started out.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

10 yrds? Hour or less. Now 20 and 30 yrds somewhat longer.
That same distance out of a tree? Even longer[&:] But it was all worth it in the end.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL.... I remember my first experiences shooting my first bow! No help, no one else I knew actually shot a bow so it took me a couple weeks before I wanted to move "back" to 20 yards!! Man, it makes me laugh to thnk about it, no peep, no release, just me... some cheap arrows.... a cheap little square foam target that actually stopped the arrow WHEN I hit it and a calf hair tab! Man, those were the days! You know at the time that was a blast for a 12 year old!!! I may have had to learn MANY things the hard way but I wouldn't have had it an other way!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Il-Cornfed, I'm with you. My first bow was a Bear Whitetail Hunter 60 lbs. with a 50% let-off. Draw length? I had no idea there were different draw lengths back then. I shot with an old lambskin shooting glove. My rest was a rubber stick on rest. My sight was a piece of aluminum with two slots cut in it and the pins were brass. To adjust them you had to unscrew one side and tighten the other for horizontal adjustment and doing so usually threw off your vertical. Those were the days.

How long it actually took me to shoot good groups at 10 yards. Hmmm, probably a couple of days to get it sighted in since I had no idea what I was doing.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't shoot groups. But to shoot well takes time. There are a lot of reasons why it could take more time than we think it should. There are 3 factors. The first is the bow. Next is the arrow. And finally it's you. With all things working together it shouldn't be to difficult to achieve good results. However let one of the three be off and it is next to impossible. Take the time to learn the in's and out's. It will all be worth it in the end.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:37 PM

Well, it took me some time. Of course I was a little 10yr old punk and didn't know jack about bows.

If you are mature, have a good bow, good arrows and good release, 10yds can be mastered very quickly.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree Doublecreek - I was around 12 armed with a bear recurve, a ragtag heap of misfit, mismatching arrows, some fletched, others not. It took me the better part of a summer to learn to hit a milkjug-sized pattern at 10 yards. As I recall, just pulling the bow back was a task in itself.

Nobody I knew really bowhunted, either, so I didn't have any guidance, but I always was a "teach myself" kinda guy.

Now, I use sophisticated weaponry, mechanical releases, wheels, pins, micro adjust this, drop away that, carbon here, magnesium there, and I still can't hit that darned jug. : )
Old 04-01-2005, 04:07 PM

A long time but I was also a 12 year shooting a very basic compound (don't even think it had 50% let off, think it was 35%. All I remember is that is was less than my brothers and his was a 50%). Probably took me most of th summer and a couple dozen arrows since I was prone to missing the target a lot. Finger shooting with no tabs, just bare hand, and a stick on rest and no instruction. Dad only hunted birds, had given up on deer after killing one in Germany back in the 60's with a Sako, and he never had picked up a bow. So my brother and I just worked on it ourselves.

When starting back up, 17 years later again it took a little time at 10 yards to get shooting again but I had someone helping me this time and the bow fit me better with a little more bells and whistles attatched to it. Still took a couple days because I had to build up strenght so I was only shooting 10-20 shoots a day for a couple weeks and at that it was every other day or so.

Funny thing is I picked up a long bow that a local makes out of mulbery or locust or hedge (I can't remember what this one was) and shot it for a bit one day too (He had made the arrows and tips too). 10 yards I wasn't off by much after he helped me a bit with it... We are not talking great groups or anything or everything in the X ring but I was getting better. Might have to go to his place and make one for myself just for fun.. It brought memories back from childhood and my eyes and body remembered instinctive shooting a bit. At least with that bow. Now 15 years I fell apart and 20 yards... Targets were not in danger of getting hit... Needed a bit more practice

Quick Reply: How long did it take you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.