Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long did it take you? >

How long did it take you?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long did it take you?

Old 04-01-2005, 06:29 PM

Default RE: How long did it take you?

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Il-Cornfed, I'm with you. My first bow was a Bear Whitetail Hunter 60 lbs. with a 50% let-off. Draw length? I had no idea there were different draw lengths back then. I shot with an old lambskin shooting glove. My rest was a rubber stick on rest. My sight was a piece of aluminum with two slots cut in it and the pins were brass. To adjust them you had to unscrew one side and tighten the other for horizontal adjustment and doing so usually threw off your vertical. Those were the days.

How familiar that sounds! I had the same bow, same sights, same rest. LOL. As well, I had no idea what I was doing. I guess I was 18-19 Years old, had only hunted with a firearm.

Man those were the days.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:34 PM

Default RE: How long did it take you?

When I first started shooting, I was about 10 years old. I found an old recurve in our attic, and since my dad never bow hunted, I had no guidance at all. You guys are gonna laugh at this, but I shot that old recurve with the string on BACKWARDS so the string was actually super loose and everytime I shot it, it stung the heck out of my fingers.
A few years later, my dad got an old Bear compound bow and I started using that. Long story made short, it wasn't until last year that I bought a "real" bow and began bowhunting. I practiced as much as possible and held pretty good groups at 10-15 yards from the get-go. Third time out hunting last fall, I killed a doe and I was happy as heck.