Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

food plots??

Old 03-31-2005, 10:51 PM

Default food plots??

anyone have any advice on food plot brands?
Old 04-01-2005, 05:34 AM

Default RE: food plots??

Wildlife buffet is what I use, good prices, good seeds.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:05 AM

Welcome Hunter,

I've had good luck with a couple of diffrent Whitetail institute seeds. The down side is they are not real cheap per say but I don't think I spent more then 100$ in seeds last year. I planted all the Imperial clover I had and had very good results. I also planted some powerplant but I had a very small 1000sq' plot. This year I will expand it because it grew so well and the deer couldn't stay away from it.

Last Sunday I checked the clover plot, only about 200sq' is out from under the snow (right along the woods line) the rest of the plot is under at least a foot of snow. The small portion of open plot had been grazed to the ground. I'm not sure how the deer are eating the clover around all the droppings in the plot. Spring green up is still 5 weeks away in my parts and the deer are getting high protein green forage already. Sofar I'm more impressed with the clover in the late fall and early spring when it's green and nothing else is and the powerplant was a great nutritious summer forage.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:12 AM

i was actually at a rep. for wildlife buffets house last weekend to look at his plots. in my area last fall we had a bad early frost and very little of his plots stayed green through the winter. the only thing i didn't really like was how tall his plots got..the taller plants like brassicas and what not seemed to take over.. they were definately hitting the turnips and sugar beets though.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:19 AM

i like the idea of their product...whitetail institute...i heard mixed opinions on southern blends not working well in the north..i'm actually growing little samples in my window sill, and amazed in one week they are already like 5 inches tall..have you had any problems at all during the winter months? i also like some of biologics blends, but again the same scenario..
Old 04-01-2005, 08:29 AM

Where will you be growing your plots Hunter? Knowing where you are in the country makes a big diffrence. My clover plot is on southern Maine and took the winter well. It's matted down from the snow but as green as it was durring the summer.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:36 AM

i live in central mn..would it be a good idea to try a variety of different seed manufacturers?

ORIGINAL: adams

Where will you be growing your plots Hunter? Knowing where you are in the country makes a big diffrence. My clover plot is on southern Maine and took the winter well. It's matted down from the snow but as green as it was durring the summer.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:49 AM

You certainly could try some diffrent seeds. I had good luck with Whitetail institute seed but it was a bit pricy. But seeings that the clover should return for 4-5 years it's really a small investment. I've heard good things about biologic and buck forage oats but have no personal experience with either product. I was thinking of planing some buck forage oats and also trying some Small Burnett this year in addition to my other plots. Reaaly what I'm having trouble with it a good source of winter forage.

If you've got the land, equiptment and time to plant a few diffrent plots I wouldn't hesitate. You should find out in short order what the deer prefer and what they turn up their noses at. The guys in the wildlife management forum may be a good tool for you to utilize. They cartainly may have more specifice on the area of the country where you are at.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen the best results here using Tecomote seeds. I love the Moster Mix, it's a great product that will pull in the deer. Between ourselves and a handful of friends we have tried numerous seeds frmo many of the major suppliers and Tecomote has been very good to everyone in this are of west-central IL.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:01 AM

what other brands did you use??? if you don't mind me asking..

Quick Reply: food plots??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.