Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you guys think about decoys >

What do you guys think about decoys

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you guys think about decoys

Old 03-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What do you guys think about decoys

Has any body had much luck with deer decoys? I am in N.W. PA here is a six point that just would not leave it made for a great morning.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What do you guys think about decoys

that's very cool....i'd love to try it but i wouldn't trust some of the idiots that hunt the same public land as i do...they'd shoot first and then play stupid.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im in the same boat 2. 2 many idiot hunters around here.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think i might buy one just for when im calling and then the deer comes in doesnt see anything and turns and walks it will help draw them in a little bit more
im looking at the feather flex just because its cheap and light
Old 03-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

I have harvested one deer with mine and scared off some too.I have the flambou upright doe.If I get another or was to advise someone to get one I would get the Flambou feeding one.They do look realistic.My wife had a buck darn near the size of a horse, come to it a couple years ago,I saw the buck and couldn't believe my eyes.If you set one up set it up behind your blind or stand ,away from where you expect deer to come from.It definatly gets their attention ,but if you put it in between you and aproaching deer, you more than likely won't get a shot, or spook them.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've only hunted with my decoy 10 or 11 times(2 seasons). The 4 most memorable hunts I've ever had(27 years hunting) ocurred with the decoy...... they are amazing.....but I feel you can't use them all the time. If you hunt many differant places you probably could.

I got video of a small 6 or 8 point this season which mounted my decoy 5 times before he tipped the decoy over. I was 14 yards away laughing my ass off getting the video!

I have a Flambeau Redi Doe (regular model..not a feeder)

Give them a try!
Old 03-28-2005, 05:40 AM

The decoy many times can be the iceing on the cake. Provided you have all the other factors in place. Wind, stand placement calling etc.. Many times when we blind call deer respond they just don't come in close enough for us to see them. The decoy can bring them in that last few yards. A mature buck if stopped forty or fifty yards from your stand does not want to hear calling from 20ft in the air at this point and if you call he will most likely turn and scram, but the visual of a decoy may bring him in. If you are utilizing a buck decoy be sure that it is facing your stand. Most times a buck will circle a buck decoy to approach it head on. A doe decoy should be facing away from your stand and maybe slightly quartering. If you need to know why that is so I don't think we have a forum for those types of pictures!! lol! If you are serious about scent control be sure not to put the scent on the decoy. Put a wick or stick with scent under the decoy. You don't want to carry the decoy then get the scent on your clothes. Place the decoy about 20 yds out from the stand facing the proper direction and a buck that comes in to it, should offer you a quartering shot. Last time I saw a decoy work. The buck was coming from over 100yds away when he spotted it and was on a beeline to it. I had not even sat down yet as it was less than 5 minutes after we placed it. He never got within 75yds as it was rifle season and my cousin reached out and touched him with his 30-.06. 8 PTS 181 lbs dressed! Good luck.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

I have mainly good results with decoys. Most of the positives I experienced during the rut. I remember a pre-rut outing that did little more than place the approaching deer on alert. If my decoy been a motion model, I'm certain the approaching deer would have acted normaly.

The only concerns I have with decoys are portability and of course safety. Packing the decoy in, depending on what you buy, can add to the bulk of your gear. Safety is the big issue, especially for you ground hunters. I hate to think someone would shoot a decoy, but we all know that's not the case. Personally I would never use a decoy if I intended to hunt from the ground.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

My uncle uses one for the past 3 years during our shotgun season (we hunt on his private ground) and I've seen so many deer that don't see it, but then when he grunts, they look his way and start coming in immediately. I can see his decoy from where I sit and sometimes I will forget that he has it out there and look that way and think there's a deer in the field! I forget which brand it is but the head, legs, ears, and antlers all fit inside the body and it is pretty life-like looking!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:26 PM

I have used a decoy many times over the years. I have not shot a deer over one yet but I will continue to use it occasionally because it is cool to see how a deer acts around one.

I did have one bad experience but like I said above, I will continue to use them. The bad experience was when I had the decoy sitting in a small clearing deep in the woods during the rut. The clearing is maybe 60 yards long by 30 yards wide and always has numerous scrapes on the many branches overhanging the clearing. Anyways it was raining that day and I had my bow hung in the tree so I could keep my hands in my pockets to keep them dry. With the drizzle it was hard to hear anything approaching and when I heard a twig snap I knew it sounded close. I looked to my left and saw a beautiful 140 class 3 1/2 year old standing in the logging trail maybe 6 yards from my stand and he was staring hard at the doe decoy 20 yards in front of him. I watched him for a few seconds and decided I needed to get my bow to be ready if he proceeded torward the decoy. I raised my hand very slowly and had to take my eye off him to see my bow and about that time he bolted and tore out of there. To this day I wish I would have kept one eye on him and just felt for my bow because I will never know what happend for sure but I am about 90% sure the decoy spooked him. I moved slowly and his full attention was on the decoy so I don't think he saw me reaching for the bow and I surely didn't make any noise.

I think the decoy spooked him but then again maybe he would have never come that close if the decoy had not been there in the first place? Re-telling the story brings back the mental image of him standing there, tall tines, head held erect while he stared intently at the decoy, I could have damn near jumped from the stand onto his back, LOL.

I did learn something from that situation that I continue to practice today. I had my bow hanging to keep my hands dry but realized in those situations when its difficult to hear a deer approaching is when I need to keep the bow in my hands at all times. I no longer leave it hanging when it is windy, raining, snowing etc....

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about decoys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.