Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Backstop

Old 03-26-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Backstop

I am looking for material to make a backstop. I need something that will stop a fast arrow, about 285 fps. I have never shot used a backstop because I did not need one. I had plenty of extra room incase I let on fly. I am now shooting 60+ yards and know I cannot keep every arrow on the target everytime. I was thinking something along the lines of plywood or something like that. I do not want anything that would damage my A/C/C arrows. Thanks
Old 03-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Backstop

Been thinking of giving peat moss a try. I thought of packed sand as it would close after the arrows withdrawn but I don't know how to keep it there,
Old 03-26-2005, 05:09 PM

I need something that I can take down and set up easily.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't use the plywood you will ruin your arrows.nodog has the right idea with peatmoss or somthing similiar to stop it without damage.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:36 PM

I can't just dump peat moss back there. I need to be able to take it in when I am not shooting. How would I go about setting up a peat moss backstop.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:01 PM

Get some big rubber mats and makes a great stop. Its also not bad to get out if you have a four wheller.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

What I use ( because it was there) is a 5' round picknick table top. I put a few layers of old carpet on it & hang my target from it or put the 3-d target in front of it. I only can shoot 30 yards in my yard so it doesnt get hit much but can be tough getting the arrows out when I do hit it. Havent ruined one pulling it out yet tho. I shoot aluminums I should mention & dont know how a carbon arrow would act but I'd think they should be at least as tough.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

A freind has 6 or 8 layers of old carpet for a back stop ,he has it inside but a frame could be built outside.
He put poles up to hang peices of carpet over.
His poles are 8 feet off the ground and 8' long .
He uses 8'x 16' peices of used carpet ( free from a installer)
The poles are 1" rigid conduit 3" apart.
Arrow removal is not easy ,but I have never seen a arrow penatrate to the fletching.
If you miss alot you may have to replace the top layer . LOL

Johnch
Old 03-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive used carpet too. I was thinking of useing the moss in bags and then using them around the house when I get tired of looking at them. You could try and cover a piece of OSB board with a shock absorbing rubber.

You could built a stop out of 1/2" plywood 4'x6'x2'.Use insulation board 2' foot thick to fill the center of it. White is the cheapest. Then cutout wholes to recieve 2 cube targets one on top of the other. Cover the back with a sheet of exterior 1/2" plywood for rigidity. Use 2x4's in the corners. exterior glue an screwed. Give it a good coat of paint to protect it and make the wife and neighbors happy. Put wheeels on one side and tip it towards you to move it around.
The plywood cdx 3 sheets should be around $45. the foam depending on the type 2" thick (white $2 a piece, blue$25, use the white). Wheels could be off of an old bike or lawn mower if not $10 a piece. Cubes ?. It would be fairly light weight so you may have to anchor it.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ive never used it but you can get horse stall mat which is 3/4 thick rubber in a 4x6 piece at agway. like 40$

Quick Reply: Backstop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.